Third-party developers continue to deliver more and more assets and releases of new add-ons for Microsoft Flight Simulator.
Having some fun with the Bee variant while testing the Primary Control Display (PCD), which is finally almost finished.
The PCD is the main interface for the F-35 and the pilot can access a variety of functions through its four independent “Portals”. Each portal can have two “subportals” which can be quickly swapped with the currently selected “page”.Also, in real life, each portal can be maximized to occupy half of the PCD instead of a quarter (at the moment this is not simulated as in reality it is mostly used for mission systems and we thought it was a waste of memory).
Many of the portals “pages” are assigned to mission-systems (sensors and weapons functionality) and therefore will be INOP in MSFS – although in many cases wer retained their real world appearance.Speaking of the portals appearance, we went through all the available videos showing the cockpit interfaces and we have completely redone the graphics of the old P3D version, so that the look is now much closer to the real deal.
In detail, these are the functions that are operational:
- AP -> AUTOPILOT (pop up): fully functional, data input via virtual keypad
- CHKLST -> CHECKLIST mode: real world checklists are classified, we adapted this page to fit to the MSFS rendition
- CNI -> COMMUNICATION, NAVIGATION & IDENTIFICATION -> COM A, COM B, VOR, VORTAC, IFF and audio control functionality implemented. Data can be entered via a virtual keypad.
- DTM -> DATA MANAGEMENT page: basic functionality will allow the pilot to review GPS data and waypoints. In reality this page is also used to store, send and receive images, videos, mission data etc.
- EFI -> ELECTRONIC FLIGHT INSTRUMENTATION: fully functional
- ENG -> ENGINE PAGE: fully functional
- FCS -> FLIGHT CONTROL SYSTEM: fully functional – for accessibility /gameplay reasons some STOVL functions are controlled in this page even if IRL they are assigned to HOTAS control.
- FUEL -> fully functionalHUD -> partial implementation, not all the symbology is implementedICAWS -> INTEGRATED CAUTION And WARNING SYSTEM page: partial implementation, the system supports only a subset of the real world caution and warning messages
- PHM -> PROGNOSTICS and HEALTH MANAGEMENT page: basic implementation: will only report systems availability and functionality
- SMS -> STORE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM – minimal functionality: it will only be possible to control the weapon doors
- TSD -> TACTICAL SITUATION DISPLAY – partial implementation: page will only show the current waypoint, VOR and VORTAC estimated positions. Also, to save memory, at the moment only one TSD screen is available (in reality there are 3 separate pages).
The following functions will be displayed but will be INOP:
- ASR – Air to Surface Radar
- DAS – Distributed Aperture System
- SRCH – Search mode
- TFLIR – Targeting Forward Looking Infra Red
- WPN-A – Air-to-air weapons
- WPN-S – Air-to-surface weapons
Speaking of new aircraft, Just Flight just announced the Piper PA-38 Tomahawk. No more details were provided, but we get the first screenshots.
Last, but not least, Aerosoft released Moosburg auf der Kippe Airport (EDPI) in Germany developed by ClearPropStudios.
You can find it at the publisher’s own store for €6.10 including applicable VAT.
- Every building at the airport was modeled according to the original down to the last detail
- Close cooperation with the airport operator on site to create a realistic atmosphere
- Sophisticated night lighting
- POI St. Kastulus, Asch Castle, Isar Bridge and Zolling power station included
- Includes parking lots, traffic lights, highway signs and rest stops
Recently, we published our massive interview with head of Microsoft Flight Simulator Jorg Neumann, focusing on the Xbox version and short and long-term plans for the sim (on both platforms).
If you’d like to read more about Microsoft Flight Simulator add-ons, you can enjoy our recent reviews of Bergamo Orio al Serio Airport, Amami Airport, Bristol Airport, Marrakech Menara Airport, Great Britain Central, Tehran Imam Khomeini Airport, Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport, Shanghai Pudong Airport, Kraków Airport, Fukuoka City & Airport, Fort Lauderdale Airport, Chongqing City & Airport, Manila Airport, Santiago Airport, the Frankfurt City Pack, Key West Airport, the Okavango Delta, Bali Airport, London Oxford Airport, Berlin Brandenburg Airport, the CRJ 550/700, the PA-28R Arrow III, Kristiansand Airport, Macau City & Airport, Bonaire Flamingo Airport, Milano Linate Airport, the Singapore City Pack, Tokyo Narita Airport, Yao Airport, the F-15 Eagle, the Paris City Pack, Greater Moncton Airport, Tweed New Haven Airport, Santorini Airport, Sydney Airport, Helsinki-Vantaa Airport, Reggio Calabria Airport, Bastia Poretta Airport, Munich Airport, Paris Orly Airport, Newcastle International Airport, Sankt Johann Airfield, Dublin International Airport, and Seoul City Wow. We also have a beta preview of Singapore Changi airport.
If you want to learn more about the game itself, you can read our review that will tell you everything you need to know about Asobo Studio’s game.