Sega finally announced the global release date of the upcoming Phantasy Star Online 2 spin-off Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis.
The game will launch in the west for Xbox and PC on June 9. The Japanese release date will be the same but the platforms are different. Japanese gamers get it on PS4, PC, and Nintendo Switch via cloud streaming.
Below you can see a few screenshots released for the occasion.
With the press release we get a comment from Fred White from PSO2 Team Global.
“After our successful closed beta test last month, we are now ready to share the official launch date for Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis
On June 9th we will be launching globally, opening up the gateway to the brand new world of Halpha for ARKS across the planet! The date marks not only a monumental game launch, but also the continuance of storyline in the long-beloved Phantasy Star series. We can’t wait to enter this new chapter together with players!”
If you’re unfamiliar with Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis, here’s what you can expect.
- Free to play!
- Huge wide-open battlefield environments! Explore a whole new world featuring broad, expansive playfields filled with ferocious enemies waiting for you and your team. Traverse wide-open environments, speed and soar across the giant landscape and skies with new special abilities. Transitioning into a new area is as simple as walking into it — no loading screens.
- Enhanced character models! Create your identity with any character you can imagine in PSO2:NGS using the powerful creation engine. Adjust every imaginable characteristic to create your one-of-a-kind avatar.
- Redesigned graphics engine! Witness lush environments, amazingly detailed player characters, and monstrous foes in razor-sharp resolution. Watch spectacular new lighting and particle effects as weapons clash with armor. See the world as you’ve never seen it before.
- New multi-weapon system and abilities! Combine 2 types of weapons for smoother weapon switching. Battle at lightning speed using a variety of weapons and techniques.
- Connects with PSO2! Move easily in-game between PSO2:NGS and PSO2.
- Cross-platform! PC and Xbox One players can play together side by side.
The western version of the game includes an English voice track. Sega promises to keep it current with the Japanese version in terms of updates.
If you’d like to see more you can check out the news and gameplay aplenty from the first Prologue livestream about the game, those from the second, the third, the fourth from last week, and more gameplay from last night.
You can also check out the extensive look at the character creation we filmed in the Global beta a few days ago.