NBA 2K20 is finally out and you’ll be able to start a brand new MyCareer story. As you play more and more with your created player, you’ll begin to get badges for doing certain things. So that you’re upgrading your player quickly, here’s everything you need to know about how to get badges in NBA 2K20.
Getting Badges in NBA 2K20
Badges are attributes that you can unlock in NBA 2K20’s MyCareer mode that see you increase stats in certain areas to match your play style and generally improve your character.
They are split into four categories and can be upgraded as you play, to give even larger stat boosts.
The system of unlocking badges has changed for NBA 2K20 though. Instead of meeting certain task boundaries, such as scoring from corners 50 times, you level up in each of the four areas.
Then, as you level up each time, you’re able to choose to upgrade or unlock one of the badges in that category. You also earn points towards upgrading each stat area by doing well in that area of play in matches.
Each badge can be upgraded through four tiers, allowing you to pump points into stats that work for the build of your player.
Also, when you upgrade each stat area, you are given the chance to rejig your badges and upgrades so that they fit you build better. That also means you don’t have to worry about unlocking a useless badge, as you can soon change again.
Finishing Badges in NBA 2K20
- Acrobat – Spin, half-spin, hop-step, euro-step, cradle, reverse, and change shot layup attempts receive a significant boost. 2K19 Requirement: Do 15 reverse layups and 5 change-shot layups in one season.
- Backdown Punisher – Allows players to have more success than normal when backing down a defender in the point.
- Consistent Finisher – Penalties for mistimed layups are reduced, allowing players to make layups more consistently.
- Contact Finisher – Slashers who play below the rim finish contact layups more successfully while dunkers are able to pull off more contact dunks.
- Cross-Key Scorer – Boosts the ability to make running hooks, layups or close range pull-ups while driving across the paint.
- Deep Hooks – Post hooks taken far from the basket receive less of a distance penalty than normal.
- Dropstepper – Allows for more success when attempting post dropsteps and hop steps, in addition to protecting the ball better, while performing these move in the post. 2K19 Requirement: Execute 30 drop step moves.
- Fancy Footwork – Players get past defenders more efficiently when performing euro, cradle, hop step, and half-spin gathers.
- Fastbreak Finisher – Gives an additional boost to a player’s Takeover meter when successfully dunking on a fast break.
- Giant Slayer – Boosts the shot percentage for a layup attempt when mismatched against a taller defender and reduces the possibility of getting blocked.
- Lob City Finisher – Improves a player’s ability to successfully finish an alley-oop layup or dunk. This shot must be taken before the receiver lands. 2K19 Requirement: Do 15 lobs, layups, or dunks.
- Pick & Roller – When rolling off the pick and roll, a shot boost is applied if the layup or dunk attempt comes within a few seconds after catching the pass. 2K19 Requirement: Call for and execute 100 pick and rolls in a season.
- Pro Touch – Gives an extra boost for having slightly early, slightly late, or excellent shot timing on layups.
- Putback Boss – Enables putback dunks and boosts the shot attributes of a player that attempts a putback layup or dunk right after getting an offensive rebound.
- Relentless Finisher – Improves a player’s ability to take a lot of contact by reducing the energy lost when attacking the rim for contact shots. 2K19 Requirement: 75 contact layups and/or dunks.
- Showtime – Gives and additional boost to a player’s Takeover meter and their teammates, when successfully completing an And-1 or flashy dunk.
- Slithery Finisher – Increases a player’s ability to slide through traffic and avoid contact.
- Catch & Shoot – For a short time after receiving a pass, the receiver’s outside shooting attributes get a significant boost. 2K19 Requirement: Score 100 times from catching and shooting.
- Clutch Shooter – Shot attempts that occur during the final moments of the 4th quarter, or in any overtime period, receive a large boost.
- Corner Specialist – Deed mid-range or 3PT shots taken along the baseline of the court receive a boost, whether it is off the dribble or off a catch. 2K19 Requirement: Score 25 three-pointers.
- Deadeye – Jump shots taken with a defender closing out receive less if a penalty from a shot contest. This includes both mid-range and 3PT shots.
- Deep Fades – Post fadeaways taken far from the basket receive less of a distance penalty than normal.
- Difficult Shots – High difficulty jumpers such as hop steps, spins, stepbacks, and pull ups receive a shot percentage boost. 2K19 Requirement: Hit 100 pull and hop shots that are contested.
- Flexible Release – Shot timing penalties for jump shots are reduced, making it easier to knock down attempts even when releasing early or late.
- Green Machine – Gives an additional shot boost when consecutively achieving excellent releases on jump shots.
- Hot Start – For every made shot from the beginning of the game, player receives a shot attribute bonus that lasts until the first missed shot attempt
- Hot Zone Hunter – Shots that are taken in a player’s hot zone(s) are given boost.
- Ice in Veins – Free throws taken in the second half of close games or overtime periods are given a boost. Also, the timing window for free throws becomes larger.
- Pick and Popper – Shot attempts that come after setting a screen are given a boost if the shot happens far enough from the rim and within a few seconds after the screen has been set. 2K19 Requirement: Score 200 times as the pick and pop man.
- Pump Fake Maestro – Shortens the timer that determines how long after a pump fake a player can shoot without incurring a shot percentage penalty.
- Quick Draw – The higher the badge level, the faster a player will be able to release all jump shots.
- Range Extended – Adds extra distance to a player’s given shot range for both mid-range and 3PT shots.
- Slippery Off-Ball – When attempting to get open off screens, the player more effectively navigates through traffic.
- Steady Shooter – Shot attempts that are contested receive less of a penalty, however shot attempts that are open do not receive as much of a bonus.
- Tireless Shooter – Shot attributes on jump shots suffer a smaller penalty than normal when fatigued. 2K19 Requirement: Attempt 200 shots while your energy bar is red.
- Volume Shooter – After a player has taken a small handful of shots, an additional boost to shot attributes is given for every subsequent shot, whether it’s a make or a miss.
- Ankle Breaker – When performing stepbacks and other certain moves, the defender stumbles or falls more frequently when biting the wrong way. 2K19 Requirement: Get “double move leading to a score” 200 times.
- Bail Out – Passing out of a jump shot or layup yields fewer errant passes than normal.
- Break Starter – After grabbing a defensive board, deep outlet passes made up the court are more accurate. Passes must be made quickly following the defensive rebound.
- Downhill – Gives a bonus to player’s Speed With Ball attribute in fastbreak situations.
- Dream Shake – Post move fakes have a higher chance of stunning a defender. Also, shot attempts following post moves and shot fakes have an increased shot percentage.
- Flashy Passer – After completing a flashy pass for an assist, both the passer and the scorer receive an additional boost to their Takeover meters. 2K19 Requirement: Do 50 flashy passes.
- Handles for Days – A player takes less of an energy hit when performing consecutive dribble moves, allowing them to chain together combos quicker and for longer periods of time.
- Lob City Passer – When throwing an alley-oop pass, and attribute boost is given to both the passer and receiver to improve the chances of success. 2K19 Requirement: Perform 50 alley-oops.
- Needle Threader – When passing through a tight window between defenders, a boost is given to the player’s passing ability.
- Pass Fake Maestro – Pass fakes become quicker and tighter, making them more useful in baiting the defense.
- Post Spin Technician – Attempting to do post spins or drives result in more effective moves, and less of a change to be stripped. 2K19 Requirement: Spin or drive out of post 100 times in one season.
- Quick First Step – When driving out of triple threat or after a size-up, ball handlers have access to quicker, and more effective, launches.
- Space Creator – When performing any stepback move or shot, there’s a higher chance of successfully creating separation from the opponent.
- Stop & Go – Allows for the ball handler to start and stop quickly with unique stops and launches exclusive to this badge.
- Tight Handles – Increases a player’s ball handling ability in size-up situations, making it easier to break down the on-ball defender.
- Unpluckable – When performing dribble moves, defenders have a tougher time poking the ball free with their steal attempts.
NBA 2K20 Defense/Rebounding Badges
- Box – Strengthens a player’s ability to effectively box out opponents in anticipation of a rebound.
- Brick Wall – This badge makes it tougher for the defense to get through or around screens. Players hit by contact from a Brick Wall lose more energy than normal. 2K19 Requirements: Successfully execute 100 screens.
- Chase Down Artist – Boosts the speed and leaping ability of a player when he is chasing down an offensive player in anticipation of a block attempt.
- Clamps – Defenders have access to quicker cut off moves and are more successful when bumping or hit riding the ball handler.
- Heart Crusher – After successfully blocking or stealing the ball from an opponent, and additional penalty is given to the opposing player’s Takeover meter.
- Interceptor – The frequency of successfully ripped or intercepted passes greatly increases.
- Intimidator – Offensive players have less success shooting hen contested by players with this badge. Also boosts the shot defense ratings when tightly guarding an opponent.
- Lightning Reflexes – Gives the defender an advantage to read where the ball handler is going in the Read and React system.
- Moving Truck – Players are more effective pushing opponents out of the post while playing defense.
- Off-Ball Pest – Makes players more difficult to get past when playing off-ball, as they can grab and hold their matchup and don’t get their ankles broken as often.
- Pick Dodger – Improves a player’s ability to navigate through and around screens while of defense.
- Pick Pocket – Increases the chances of a steal and reduces the chances of a foul when attempting to strip the ball from a handler. Also improves the chances of successful layup strips. 2K19 Requirement: Cause 50 loose balls.
- Pogo Stick – Allows players to quickly go back up for another block attempt upon landing.
- Post Move Lockdown – Increases the chances of a defender preventing an offensive post move succeeding.
- Rebound Chaser – Improves a player’s ability to track down rebounds from farther distances than normal.
- Rim Protector – Improves player’s ability to block shots, unlocks special block animations and gives a boost to the Takeover meter for the blocker and blocker’s teammates following a block.
- Tireless Defender – Allows defenders to play defense more aggressively without losing energy at the same rate as a normal player.
- Trapper – When trapping offensive players, defenders are more effective at forcing pick ups and turnovers than normal.
- Worm – When boxed out, rebounders have more success swimming around and getting into successful rebound position.
That’s everything you need to know about how to get badges in NBA 2K20. For more tips and tricks on the game, be sure to check out our wiki guide. We have also included some other helpful guides down below.