Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 is to feature both 3D and a newly announced classic 2D mode, Sega revealed today with a new trailer.
The following events will be available to play in the game’s Classic mode:
- 10m Platform (Diving)
- 400m Hurdles
- Gymnastics – Vault
- Kayak Single (K-1) 1000m
- Long Jump
- Shooting – Trap
A new trailer showcases the pixelated action, and I must admit it looks pretty cool watching Sonic and Mario duke it out on the 100-meter sprint.
I remember arguing about who would take the crown on the school playground when I was a wee one! Now we get to find out who was right…
A press release sent to Twinfinite provides an overview of the game’s other modes and features:
- New Events and More: Debut events including surfing, skateboarding, karate, and sport climbing will all be playable in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020; joining the classic event line-up of gymnastics, swimming, 110m hurdles, football, equestrian, and archery.
- Different Ways to Play: Exclusively on Nintendo Switch, determine who the real champion is while using the fun and flexibility of the Joy-Con controllers to your advantage.
- Split-Screen and Online Fun: Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 delivers multiplayer, both local split-screen and online, fun for all ages and groups.
- Play with a Cast of Fan-Favorite Characters: Choose from a star-studded SEGA- and Nintendo-franchise athlete roster that includes Mario, Sonic, Luigi, Knuckles, Peach, Amy, Dr. Eggman, Yoshi, Tails, and more to be announced!
- 10 Classic 2D Events: Experience Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games in a brand-new way with classic 2D versions of 10 events from the Tokyo 1964 Summer Olympics.
You can check out the trailer for yourself below:
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 launches exclusively on Nintendo Switch this fall, Nov. 5.
In other big Gamescom 2019-related news, Gears 5’s campaign impresses in its latest trailer, CDPR showcased more amazing Cyberpunk 2077 screenshots, and the dark fantasy action-platformer Blasphemous is coming to PC & consoles this September.