At first it might look like all you can do in Pokemon GO gym battles is tap the screen like a mad man to attack your opponent, but you can actually use special attacks and even dodge incoming attacks as well.
The process is simple: when you see the opposing Pokemon about to lunge forward with their attack, or when you see yellow flash on the edge of your screen, simply swipe left or right. A message should pop up notifying you of your successful dodge, if it was indeed successful. If it wasn’t, you’ll just sustain the normal damage from the attack.
Gym battles are a delicate balance between attacking and defending, and a lack of dodging could cost you your precious victory. Practice your technique, and you’ll be dodging like a champ in no time.
For more hints, tips, and tricks, check out our Ultimate Pokemon GO Guide!
More Pokemon GO
- Tip: You Should Hold Off on Transferring Weak Pokemon
- Mayor of Rio de Janeiro Wants Pokémon GO Released in Brazil Before Summer Olympics
- Cheating Will Result in an Account Ban
- McDonald’s Could Be Pokemon GO’s First Sponsored PokeStop
- The Biggest Pokemon GO Myths Busted (and One Confirmed)