There are a multitude of items for players to pick up in Fortnite, all with various levels of use. However, you can’t carry everything; you have a limited number of spaces. At some point, items need to be dropped to make room for more important items like building materials or ammo. If you’re still getting the hang of the game, here’s how to drop items in Fortnite for PC.
Fortnite – How To Drop Items in on PC
First, you need to ask yourself a simple question: are you using a keyboard and mouse or controller in Fornite? If the latter, what kind of controller—Xbox or PlayStation? We’ve created steps for both, so follow along with the steps that apply to you.
Dropping Items Using a Keyboard and Mouse
There are two unique methods for dropping items in Fortnite for PC. You can either rely on default hotkeys or use the mouse.
- Open your inventory, which is the I key by default.
- With your mouse, left-click on an item you would like to remove.
- Drag it over and out of your inventory and release.
In the most dire of situations, which is all the time in Fortnite, this is by far the most efficient and quickest way of dropping items. This is especially true considering the guns you pick up at the start will likely be replaced at some point, so there’s no reason to hold onto them. It will also make more room for ammo and building materials or just ammo if you’re participating in a Zero Build match.
Alternatively, you can drop items from your inventory by pressing and holding the X key. If you select an item such as building materials, tapping the X key will drop 30 of that item instead of the entire stack. This is only really helpful for sharing your loot with allies.
Dropping Items Using a Controller
If you’re using a controller—Xbox or PS4/PS5—dropping items in Fortnite on PC changes. The button prompt is the same as it is on their respective consoles.
- Open your inventory using the D-Pad Up button.
- Locate the item you wish to drop and highlight it.
- To drop items either press the Square button (PS4/PS5) or the X button (Xbox).
With that, we’ve covered every method on how to drop items in Fortnite for PC. If you’re knocking out challenges in Fortnite, then take a look at how Reality Saplings work in-game or see what other quests are available in Season 3.
- All Fortnite Rocket League Live Challenges & Rewards
- How to Bounce on 3 Separate Crash Pads Without Landing in Fortnite Chapter 3 Season 3
- How to Plant a Reality Sapling 30 or More Meters Away From Yourself in Fortnite
- All Fortnite Chapter 3 Season 3 Week 9 Quests & Rewards
- Fortnite Beach Ball Locations: Where to Kick Beach Balls in No Sweat Summer