Horizon Forbidden West brings with it the next chapter in Aloy’s story that began with PS4 exclusive Horizon Zero Dawn in 2017. With a bigger and better world, more machines than you can shake a stick at, and stunning visuals and art direction, there’s plenty to love and sink your teeth into in this spectacular sequel. In this guide, we’ll be running you through how to change difficulty, and whether or not there’s a difficulty trophy in Horizon Forbidden West, so you can plan out your path to that Platinum trophy.
All Difficulty Modes
- Story – Eases the combat experience, allowing you to focus on exploration and narrative.
- Easy – Offers a light combat experience while exploring the world and story.
- Normal – Provides a balanced experience of exploration, story, and combat.
- Hard – Allows for a challenging combat experience throughout the journey.
- Very Hard – Offers a tough and demanding combat experience for those looking to test their skills.
- Custom – Players can change the following options to tailor Horizon Forbidden West’s difficulty to their liking:
- Damage to Aloy
- Enemy Health
- Easy Loot
- Concentration Duration
- Auto Concentration
- Auto Heal
Changing Difficulty in Horizon Forbidden West
- Press ‘Options’ on your controller to bring up the pause menu.
- Go to ‘Settings’ and make sure you have the ‘Game’ tab selected at the top of the screen.
This should be the default tab that opens up when you go into the ‘Settings’ menu.
- The ‘Difficulty’ option is at the top of this tab. Select it and use left and right on the analog stick to switch between the different difficulty settings.
This can be changed at any time.
Is There a Difficulty Trophy?
By ‘difficulty trophy’ we’re talking about a trophy that’s only unlocked by beating the game, or a particular mission, on a set difficulty setting. It’s often tied to playing through on the harder difficulty settings in a game.
The good news is that no, Horizon Forbidden West doesn’t have a difficulty trophy. That means players can play through the adventure on Easy and can still unlock all of the trophies to get the Platinum in a single playthrough.
That’s everything you need to know regarding Horizon Forbidden West difficulty settings and whether or not there’s a difficulty trophy. For more tips, tricks and guides, head over to our wiki or see more of our coverage on the game below.