Nintendo has announced that as of Jan. 12, 2021, the original Super Mario Maker game for the Wii U will not be available for purchase on the eShop.
After March 31, 2021, it will also be impossible to upload new courses online and the Super Mario Maker Bookmark website will also be shut down, which is a handy site that lets users search for courses and save them for later. The website can also show you some recommended courses and creator rankings.
On the Wii U support page for Super Mario Maker, it says that some other features will also become unavailable, such as updating the ranking of liked courses and looking up bookmarked courses.
Players will still be able to play courses that were uploaded before the feature was discontinued and if you have the game purchased from the eShop, you can re-download it whenever you want, even after Jan. 12, 2021.
Nintendo also clarified that this will have no impact on Super Mario Maker 2 for the Switch, which was released in the summer of 2019. You can read our review here as well as some of our favorite custom worlds to play through.
- This Domino Tribute to Super Mario Maker 2 is Wild; 260,214 Dominoes Used & 6 Months of Work
- Super Mario 64 Levels Recreated in Super Mario Maker 2
- The Final Super Mario Maker 2 Update Feels Like a Free Sequel
- Final Major Update for Super Mario Maker 2 Adds World Maker
- A Fan Was so Desperate for a Nintendo Direct That They Made Their Own in Super Mario Maker 2