Final Fantasy XI was supposed to be on the way out years ago. Or at least, that’s what many people assumed when they announced the final story expansion, Rhapsodies of Vana’diel and discontinued the PS2 and Xbox 360 versions of the very old MMORPG.
The now 18-year-old MMORPG has seen a bit of a renaissance recently, however, and story that takes place after the previously narrative “ending” is confirmed to be on the way soon.
While it was known that the developers were working on some kind of story content, it wasn’t clear where it would fit in exactly nor when it would actually release. Well now we know.
The August Version Update set to take place on Aug. 6 will add this new story beat, and will require full completion of Rhapsodies of Vana’diel.
Final Fantasy XI has quietly been expanding with new battle content and offering more frequent game adjustments after shutting down the PS2 and Xbox 360 versions. They have added the Final Fantasy XI Friend Finder, and have offered more frequent and lucrative Welcome Back campaigns which seems to imply that there has been an increased interest from returning players over the years.
Still, the addition of brand new story is a pleasant surprise ahead of their big 20th anniversary surprise, whatever that is.
Of note for current players: the August Version Update will also include adjustments (aka a buff) to Beastmaster, and a massive bounty campaign.
- Final Fantasy XI’s Next Monthly Campaign Is Bonkers
- Final Fantasy XIV Getting Custom Printed Photo Books in Japan
- Final Fantasy XIV Fan Festival Letter From The Producer Live Detailed: Will Star Natsuko Ishikawa
- Final Fantasy XIV Update 5.5 Gets New Screenshots Showing New NieR: Automata Raid & More
- Final Fantasy XIV Reveals First PS5 Gameplay, Footage & Details Aplenty About Update 5.5