CD Projekt Red (CDPR) has launched a trailer for Thronebreaker, a new campaign mode coming to Gwent, The Witcher card game. Additionally, the developer also announced the beginning of an official Gwent esports event.
Thronebreaker is teased as “a single player story campaign which spins a truly regal tale of Meve, a war-veteran queen of two Northern Realms. Facing an imminent invasion, she is forced to once again enter the warpath, and sets out on a dark journey of destruction and revenge.”
CDPR also launched a trailer for the Gwent Masters tournament, which it says elevates Gwent to a professional level and gives players the opportunity to become the undisputed best players in the world. The tournament is split into three tiers of Gwent tournaments: Open, Challenger, World Masters. All three tournaments are part of a pro ladder season in which players can accumulate “Crown Points” across what is referred to as a Pro Ladder season.
Crown Points can be earned by finishing in the top 200 of a Pro Ladder tournament, as well as by competing in both official and licensed Gwent tournaments. You can check how many points you have at any time by visiting masters.playgwent.com
- There are eight Open tournaments during each Masters Series. The top eight players at the end of each season have a chance to compete for a $25,000 prize.
- There are four Challenger tournaments taking place every two Challenger seasons, and will also feature eight competitors: the winner of the previous Challenger; up to four finalists of two prior Open tournaments; up to three players with most Crown Points leading up to the Challenger; and two wild card players invited by CDPR. The prize pool for Challengers is $100,000.
- The final tier is called Gwent World Masters, and it sports a massive $250,000 prize pool. Participation is based on up to five winners of previous Challenger events, and up to seven players with the most Crown Points in the Pro Ladder accumulated in the series leading up to Gwent World Masters.
The Gwent World Masters is a single elimination tournament. Each player must build four decks from four different factions ahead of the tournament during the Pro Season.
If you’re interested, you can watch the first ever GWENT Open tournament live on the CD PROJEKT RED Twitch channel, August 25th.
You can check out the trailer for the story campaign and Masters Tournament below:
- White Day 2: Swan Song Is Poised to Terrify Gamers in 2018
- The Oh so Charming EA Published Title ‘Fe’ Will Be Coming to the Switch
- Shenmue III Gets Its First Bit of Teaser Footage