Today, Square Enix officially announced that its highly anticipated sixth release in the Final Fantasy pixel remaster series would be released later this month. To be exact, fans will be able to get their hands on the Final Fantasy VI pixel remaster on Feb. 23, 2022, for Steam and mobile platforms.
You can check out more information on the game courtesy of the official press release:
Originally released for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System in 1994, FINAL FANTASY VI captures all of the magic of the original with improved ease of play. Players will embark on a timeless story following The War of the Magi, which left little but ashes and misery in its wake and magic itself vanished from the world. A thousand years later, humanity has rebuilt the world relying on machines and technology – until they find a young girl named Terra with mysterious powers. The evil Empire has kept her enslaved in an effort to harness these powers as a weapon, leading to a fateful meeting between Terra and a young man named Locke. Their harrowing escape from the Empire’s clutches sets in motion a series of events that touches countless lives and leads to one inevitable conclusion.
Regarded as one of the most beloved games in the FINAL FANTASY series, FINAL FANTASY VI features a robust roster of playable characters, each with their own stories, goals and destinies. Players will be able to customize their party members’ abilities, magic spells and summons with the acclaimed magicite system. In addition, players can look forward to many improvements and updates for ward to many improvements and updates for FINAL FANTASY VI.
The Final Fantasy VI pixel remaster is set to include the following features:
- Universally updated 2D pixel graphics, including the iconic FINAL FANTASY pixel character designs created by Kazuko Shibuya, the original artist and current collaborator.
- A beautifully rearranged soundtrack in a faithful FINAL FANTASY style, overseen by the original composer Nobuo Uematsu.
- Improved gameplay, including modernized UI, auto-battle options and more!
- Supplemental extras like the bestiary, illustration gallery and music player.
Anyone who pre-purchases Final Fantasy VI on Steam will receive four wallpapers, five music tracks, and a 20% discount. Be sure to check back to Twinfinite for more information on the game when it releases later this month.
And while you’re here, don’t forget to check out all of the amazing other Final Fantasy-related content we’ve got for you below. That includes plenty of features, news, quizzes, and guides fans of the series will surely love.
- New Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin Patch Improves Performance & Adds Battle Simulator
- Final Fantasy XV Has Shipped 10 Million Copies, Square Enix Announces
- Final Fantasy XI Turns 20 Today; Here’s How Square Enix is Honoring the Anniversary
- Final Fantasy Brave Exvius Gets War of the Visions Collab; Adds King Mont, Sterne, & Vinera as New Units
- Final Fantasy XIV Players Can Now Spend $7 to Drink Tea in the Game