The NPD Group’s monthly report tracking spending across the US video game industry is out for November, which for the instance in some time reveals a year-on-year decline in consumer spend across the games industry. Still, the battle for software’s top-seller in what is typically the year’s biggest month raged as usual, and this time it was Call of Duty Vanguard that came out on top, outselling Battlefield 2042. The Nintendo Switch, meanwhile, was the month’s best performing hardware in both units and dollar sales, continuing a hot streak that has continued more or less uninteruprted over the past 12 months.
As always, The NPD Groups’ Mat Piscatella broke down the company’s findings over on Twitter. Below you can find a round-up of his Tweets with the accompanying graphics to highlight each segment’s performance.
- November 2021 consumer spending across video game hardware, content and accessories fell 10% when compared to a year ago, to $6.3 billion. YTD consumer spending totaled $52.9 billion, an increase of 9% when compared to the same period in 2020.
- Hardware dollar sales fell 38% compared to a year ago, leading the market to an overall 10% decline YoY. All categories of spending decreased when compared to November 2020.
- November video game hardware dollar sales declined 38% when compared to November 2020, to $883 million. November hardware spending fell to its lowest total since November 2016 ($759 million), driven by a lack of available console inventory.
- Switch was the best-selling hardware platform in both units and dollars for both November 2021 as well as 2021 year-to-date.
- Call of Duty: Vanguard debuted as November’s best-selling game, instantly becoming the 2nd best-selling game of 2021 to date. This is the 14th consecutive year a Call of Duty game has ranked as the best-selling game of its release month.
- Battlefield 2042 launched as the #2 best-selling game of November, ranking as the 6th best-selling game year to date. Battlefield 2042 was the 2nd best-selling game of November on both PlayStation and Xbox platforms.
- Forza Horizon 5 set a new Forza franchise launch month sales record (including both Forza Horizon and Forza Motorsport titles) while ranking as the 4th best selling game of November 2021. Forza Horizon 5 was the #3 best-selling game on Xbox platforms in the month.
- Shin Megani Tensei V achieved the highest launch month dollar sales of any Shin Megami Tensei title in history. Shin Megami Tensei V ranked as the 16th best-selling game of November 2021 while also ranking 6th on Nintendo platforms.
Mobile (via Sensor Tower)
- November is the 10th month of 2021 that has exceeded $2 billion in mobile game spending. Only two months in 2020 surpassed that mark.
- Top U.S. mobile games by revenue in November 2021 included Candy Crush Saga, Coin Master, Roblox, Garena Free Fire, Genshin Impact, Pokémon GO, Call of Duty: Mobile, Clash Royale, Homescapes, and Bingo Blitz.
- November 2021 spending on video game accessories fell 20% when compared to a year ago, to $258 million. This is the lowest total reached in a November month since 2017 ($234 million). YTD sales reached $2.1 billion, gaining 4% when comprared to a year ago.
- November 2021 dollar sales of Steering Wheel accessories more than doubled year ago levels. The Logitech G920 Driving Force Racing Wheel for Xbox and PC was the month’s best-selling Steering Wheel.
The below slideshow features data on the best-selling software in March and year-to-date.
To compare this month’s results to October, it’s here.
- NPD October: Far Cry 6 Leads Software Sales; Nintendo Switch Back on Top
- NPD September: PS5 Snaps Switch’s 33 Month Streak As Top-Selling Console In The US
- NPD July: PS5 & Nintendo Switch Drive Record-Setting Month, & Skyward Sword Sales Impress
- NPD June: Xbox Enjoys Record-Setting Month of Sales
- NPD April: US Video Game Spending Declines For the First Time in Pandemic Era