Today Star Citizen developer Cloud Imperium Games is opening the gates of the in-game Intergalactic Aerospace Expo 2950.
This means that for the next 13 days (from today to December 2) everyone will be able to play the current Alpha 3.11.1 build for free.
On top of that, both backers and non-backers will be able to try all the flyable ships on a day-by-day manufacturer-based rotation. You can find the schedule in the gallery under the video below.
Speaking of video, Jeremy Clark… ahem… Jax McCleary is back with his Stig-like assistant Jimmy to present the brand new Consolidated Outland Nomad that was revealed yesterday.
The IAE 2050 is an actual in-game location that you can visit in New Babbage, the capital of Microtech, and the doors should already be opened as I’m writing.
The Free Fly event is scheduled to start in a few hours, at 2:00 pm PDT. If you don’t have an account you can make one for free on the official site and then download the client.
Do keep in mind that the servers are likely to be fairly slammed on the first day, and that it’s highly advisable to install the game on an SSD.
Here’s what you can expect.
- Download and play Star Citizen for free during IAE 2950. New pilots may sign up and start flying.
- See and fly over 100 ships in Star Citizen for free! This is the first time IAE officials have made this many flyable ships eligible for the Test Fly program.
- The highly anticipated Crusader Mercury Star Runner will be flyable for the first time ever.
- A special surprise reveal for attendees from innovative manufacturer Consolidated Outlands.
- “Best in Show” ship awards begin on Nov. 29 and run through Dec. 2 in the New Babbage Expo Hall.
- Explore the New Babbage Expo Hall for the first time, with manufacturers of vehicles, weapons, and armor showcasing their latest ships, concept designs, and gear every day.
- View daily coverage and updates from Jax McCleary, the award-winning journalist and host of the wildly popular Galactic Gears spectrum show. Jax will bring viewers the latest directly from the New Babbage Expo Hall, with hot takes on the latest ship models on show.
Considering that you’ll hear very polarized opinions about Star Citizen, this is a good chance to make your own mind about it without spending a dime.
In the meanwhile, you can find the new video with Jax McCleary and new assets below.
For the sake of full disclosure, the author of this article has been a Star Citizen backer since the original Kickstarter campaign several years ago, so you should keep that in mind while reading.