Among Us studio InnerSloth announced on Wednesday that a sequel to the online multiplayer deduction game has been canceled.
The developer initially announced Among Us 2 last month with plans to expand the game with a higher player count, account system, more roles, and better moderation. InnerSloth decided to cancel the sequel after seeing the large playerbase for the game over the past month, and will instead implement the planned content into the first game.
“The main reason we are shooting for a sequel is because the codebase of Among Us 1 is so outdated and not built to support adding so much new content,” the developer said in an Itch.io post. “However, seeing how many people are enjoying Among Us 1 really makes us want to be able to support the game and take it to the next level. We have decided to cancel Among Us 2 and instead put all our focus into improving Among Us 1.”
Some of the planned features coming to the first game include improving server issues, colorblind support, an account system, and a new stage. The studio said other features have been planned for the future.
Among Us originally released for PC, iOS, and Android in 2018. The two-year-old game recently broke over 300,000 concurrent players on Steam and received over 60 million downloads on mobile since last month due to its popularity among streamers, cross-play support, free to play on mobile, and low price on Steam.