A year after its initial launch, DeNa’s multiplayer battle game Pokemon Masters is getting a huge new content update. It’s just the latest in a long string of post-launch support, but this one is so substantial that the developer has decided to change the name of the entire game. Pokemon Masters will now be called Pokemon Masters EX.
As explained in a video message delivered by operations producer Tetsuya Igushi and producer Yu Sasaki, DeNA believes Masters has evolved so much over the past 12 months that it’s essentially a new game.
While that may very well be the case, it’s worth reminding ourselves that DeNa came under huge flak from Pokemon Masters’ user base weeks after its launch for not supporting the game properly. There was such an outcry that DeNa issued a public apology and vowed to make a more concerted effort to improve the experience.
Well, credit where it’s due — that’s exactly what the team has done. You can check out the video message yourself below.
Here’s a full list of new content coming in next month’s update:
- Sygna Suit Cynthia & Kommo-o: The Dragon-type sync pair of Sygna Suit Cynthia & Kommo-o will make their debut in the sync pair Spotlight Scout, which is available now until Sept. 2 at 10:59PM Pacific time. A Sygna Suit is a special outfit that Trainers can wear into battle on the island of Pasio. This sync pair uses moves like Eyes on the Prize!, which raises a player’s critical-hit rate while also reducing their sync move countdown, and Clanging Scales, which attacks all opponents at once.
Here’s a trailer introducing the new sync pair:
Update notes continue:
- Legendary Event – Cyrus & Palkia: The sync pair of Cyrus & Palkia star in an in-game event titled New World Dilemma, which is available now until Sept. 2 at 10:59PM Pacific time for those that have completed Chapter 1 of the Main Story. In this event, players will embark on an adventure with Cyrus, the boss of the villainous Team Galactic, and Sygna Suit Cynthia. Players who complete New World Dilemma will have the sync pair of Cyrus & Palkia join their teams
- Lance & Dragonite Return: The Dragon-type sync pair of Lance & Dragonite has returned and will be available in the sync pair Spotlight Scout from August 19 at 11:00PM Pacific time until Sept. 2 at 10:59PM Pacific time.
- Rock-Type Egg Event: This event lets players earn Pokémon Eggs, which can be hatched into Rock-type Pokémon such as Aeordactyl, Onix, Geodude, and Kabuto. Rare shiny versions of Aerodactyl and Kabuto can also be obtained. All Pokémon hatched from Eggs can be paired with the game’s Main Character to battle alongside one another. This event is available now until Aug. 24 at 10:59PM Pacific time for players who have completed Chapter 1 of the Main Story.
- Explore the Celebration-Themed Pokémon Center: A specially decorated version of the in-game Pokémon Center will be available for players to explore for a limited time. This version of the Pokémon Center features new background music and a giant statue of Lear.
- Run-Up to One-Year Anniversary – Login Bonus & Mission Bingo: Players who login to the game and complete the Run-Up to One Year Mission Bingo before Aug. 27 at 10:59PM Pacific time will receive up to 3,000 Gems, 225 Skip Tickets, and other in-game rewards.