Today Electronic Arts released its financial results for the fourth quarter of the fiscal year 2020, related to the period between January 1 and March 31, 2020.
First of all, the press release includes comments from Chief Executive Officer Andrew Wilson and Chief Operating and Financial Officer Blake Jorgensen.
Wilson promises to deliver games and experience that players are looking form during the challenging times ahead.
“We’re humbled to see people around the world connecting through our games during this unprecedented period.
Our focus continues to be on everything we can do for our people, our players, and our communities. Thanks to the amazing dedication and determination of our teams at Electronic Arts, we’re able to deliver the games, experiences and content choices that our players are looking for during this challenging time.”
Jorgensen describes the past fiscal year a “strong” one.
“We’ve had a strong year. Our results this quarter prove the value of the live services path we’ve been on now for a decade. The breadth and depth of our live services give the flexibility we need at times like this to meet player needs.
I want to thank everyone at EA for rising to the challenge. People across the company have shown extraordinary innovation, energy and ingenuity. Learnings from this period will forever change the way we work at EA.”
We also get a few highlights of the publisher’s performance and financial metrics. We learn that Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order has passed 10 million players, while FIFA 20 has more than 25 million. Apex Legends was the most-downloaded free-to-play game on PS4 in 2019.
- Digital net bookings for the fiscal year was $4.052 billion, up 9% year-over-year and now represents 78% of total net bookings.
- FIFA 20 has more than 25 million unique players to date.
- Madden NFL 20 reached the highest engagement levels in franchise history.
- Apex Legends was the most downloaded free-to-play game on PS4 in calendar 2019.
- Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order has more than 10 million unique players to date.
- In every quarter of fiscal 2020, monthly average players in The Sims 4 were higher than the comparable period in the prior year.
- Net cash from operating activities was $498 million for the quarter and $1.797 billion for the fiscal year.
- EA repurchased 2.7 million shares for $291 million during the quarter, bringing the total for the last twelve months to 12.3 million shares for $1.207 billion.
Below you can see a table summarizing the latest financial statistics, which show sizable growth year-on-year.
If you’d like to compare, you can check out the results for the previous quarter, which were disclosed in January.