Hot on the heels of the Piplup Community Day announcement, the Pokemon GO team has revealed that new Unova Pokemon and a form of trade evolutions have come to the game in an update, ahead of the Jan. 19 Community Day event.
On top of finding more Piplup in the wild and in raids for Community Day, several new Pokemon from Generation V’s Unova region will now be available to catch in Pokemon GO as well. These include Boldore, Gurdurr, Karrablast, Shelmet, Roggenrola, Tympole, Dwebble, and more.
More specifically, the update notes even state how and where these Pokemon can be obtained:
- Pokémon appearing in the wild: Roggenrola, Tympole, Dwebble, Trubbish, Karrablast, Joltik, Shelmet, and more.
- Pokémon hatching from Eggs:
- 2 km Eggs: Venipede and Dwebble
- 5 km Eggs: Roggenrola, Tympole, Trubbish, Karrablast, Joltik, and Shelmet
- 10 km Eggs: Timburr, Tirtouga, Archen, and Axew
- Pokémon appearing in raids: Timburr will also be available in one-star raids.
- Pokémon appearing in the wild in certain parts of the world:
- North America, South America, and Africa: Throh (also available in 10 km Eggs)
- Europe, Asia, and Australia: Sawk (also available in 10 km Eggs)
- Southern United States, Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean, and South America: Maractus
- Egypt and Greece: Sigilyph
- Eastern hemisphere: Red-Striped Form Basculin
- Western hemisphere: Blue-Striped Form Basculin
You may have noticed that a few of the Pokemon mentioned, such as Boldore and Gurdurr, usually require trades to evolve. Well, this update also lowers the candy cost to evolve certain Pokemon when they are traded.
Other trade evolution Pokemon like Kadabra, Machoke, Graveler, and Haunter will have their evolution cost retroactively lowered if you received them via trade prior to this update.