Today ZA/UM announced that they have updated their popular and acclaimed isometric RPG Disco Elysium to include a new Hardcore mode which will challenge the most experienced and confidents fans.
This new Hardcore Mode will add the following restrictions (via Dead Good Media & ZA/UM):
- You will fail more – The difficulty of every Check goes up, bringing down your chances of success. Solving this case without being a Total Disaster Cop is even harder than normal.
- You’re going to be poorer – You’ll have even less money, meaning there’s less for you to pick up. Better get used to picking up every scrap you can find…
- Prices have gone up – Pharmaceutical prices have gone up, which means failing costs you even more and they don’t heal you as much.
- You’ll need to turn to the hard stuff – Booze and cigarettes are going to help you a lot, sweet ciggys clearing your head and extra drink to build courage will become more of a necessity on this playthrough.
- Most treasured possessions – The few possessions you do have become more important, make sure to treasure what you have!
- You’ll have to think more carefully – The Thought Cabinet debuffs are more painful when you’re already liable to fail. One the flip side, the bonuses thoughts offer might push you down paths you wouldn’t otherwise take.
- You’ll level up faster – Failing builds character. You’ll gain extra token amounts of XP every time you finish a task and you’ll level faster and higher, if only marginally.
If you’re here and somehow aren’t familiar with Disco Elysium, you’ll notice that all of the bullets above have to do with making dialogue and haggling more difficult. That’s because Disco Elysium is unique in that it has no combat.
The challenge of the game is building a character that can pass skill checks to make your life easier as you progress through the game’s story and quests. Obviously this Hardcore Mode is designed to make your life as hard as possible.
The update also adds support for widescreens which is pretty self explanatory; hurray for ultrawide Disco Elysium goodness.
Finally, alongside the new update, ZA/UM is putting Disco Elysium on sale. Both the main game and its DLC are 20% off on Steam right now.
You can check out the trailer for Hardcore Mode released alongside the update below.