Today PQube and Kadokawa Games announced via press release that the enhanced version of the visual novel Root Letter, titled Root Letter: Last Answer is coming west.
This version includes gameplay enhancements, a new epilogue, and a completely new live-action mode that replaces Taro Minoboshi’s beautiful illustrations with real actors.
If you’re unfamiliar with the game, here’s an official description:
“15 years have passed since your correspondence with your pen friend Aya Fumino. While you moved on with your life, a confession of murder left in her last letter now resurfaces. Travel to Aya’s hometown and discover what happened to her. Her friends may know the truth but none of them seem willing to let you delve into the past. Are they responsible for her disappearance?”
- A visual novel bestseller: With over 500 thousand copies of the original sold in the west, the mystery story is one of the most successful visual novels of all time.
- A fully interactive experience: Follow the leads given in Aya’s letters to track down her long-time friends. Use your items and the information found during the investigation to make them reveal the truth.
- Live-action mode: A new way to enjoy the story: urn on the live-action mode from the title screen at any time in the game to see Shimane’s locations and residents come to life.
- The complete Root Letter experience: In addition to several UI improvements, Root Letter: Last Answer adds new epilogues that concludes the story around Aya Fumino.
- Iconic character design and soundtrack: Players who prefer the animated version of the game will enjoy the beautifully detailed artwork by the masterful character designer Minoboshi Taro and the atmospheric soundtrack by composer Takashi Nitta.
You can check out a batch of screenshots below, alongside a trailer. Root Letter: Last Answer is coming west later this year.