Limited Run Games, a company that prides themselves on game preservation, announced today that they’re partnering with Naughty Dog and Sony to bring back Jak and Daxter in physical format to PS4.
By 2019, you will be able to own physical versions of the first three Jak and Daxter games, as well as Jak X: Combat Racing, all for PS4, thanks to limited Run Games.
The Jak and Daxter series were hits on the PS2, with the release of the The Precursor Legacy in 2001, Jak II in 2003, and Jak III in 2004 all receiving positive reviews. Initially developed by industry behemoths, Naughty Dog, Jak and Daxter was the next project after the studio shipped Crash Team Racing in 1999.
Currently, you are able to download up-scaled ports of the Jak 1 – 3 on PS4, but this marks the first time they will be available on the platform, physically.
Limited Run Games will be staggering the release of each of the initial three Jak and Daxter games, as well as the racing game, Jak X: Combat Racing all by June 2019. They will be taking pre-orders for the first game, The Precursor Legacy at 6PM EST on Dec. 7, 2018.
For this release, there will be two SKUs. The less expensive option will run you $24.99 and will simply come with the physical version of the first game. The more expensive Collector’s Edition will cost $74.99, but includes some goodies to make it worth it.
Included in the Collector’s Edition:
- Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy physical game for the PlayStation 4, which includes a full-color physical manual and reversible cover art.
- 90+ page foil stamped hardcover book featuring never before seen design documents from Naughty Dog’s original production binders.
- Physical soundtrack CD, which includes demos and unreleased material.
- A premium metal replica Precursor Orb.
- An 18 x 24 inch replica of the original development team poster.
- A sealed foil pack of premium high-gloss foil trading cards.
- A custom black 16GB USB drive shaped like a PlayStation 2 memory card.
- A beautiful gold foil stamped book inspired box.
A post via the PlayStation Blog reports that the Standard Edition is limited to a total of 7,500 copies, while the Collector’s Edition is limited to a mere 1,750 copies.
There is no word yet when Limited Run Games will be taking pre-orders for the subsequent Jak and Daxter games, but we’ll be sure to let you know when we find out.
The current release date for Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy is Feb. 28, 2019.