Ubisoft has just announced that it will be closing its studio in Casablanca, Morocco after 18 years. The studio will officially be shut down on June 13.
Gamespot reports it was revealed in a statement that the employees were informed of the shutdown last week. Ubisoft has stated that it employees will be given “transfer opportunities” to other studios, or “assistance” to the employees being let go.
It has not been stated how many employees currently work at the studio, but it will still be a blow to all those involved. The Casablanca website is still up, and shows a fair number of employees.
The Casablanca studio first opened in 1998 and has contributed on over 26 games including Rayman Legends, Valient Hearts, and Child of Light. In a statement, executive director Jean-Michel Detoc said: “We didn’t find a sustainable formula for the studio within our broader network.”
“The decision to close Ubisoft Casablanca was taken as part of Ubisoft’s constant efforts to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of its cross-collaboration studio model,” said Ubisoft’s statement.
Following the closure of the Casablanca studio, Ubisoft will now have 29 studios in 17 different countries. We wish all the employees at Casablanca studios well and we hope they quickly find new projects to work in, or outside of gaming.
Check Out More:
- Zero Time Dilemma Intro Trailer Explains the Rules of the Decision Game
- Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Trailer Shows Aqua in Action
- Nintendo Unveils E3 2016 Plans, Festivities Begin Today on Twitter