After more than a decade, the James Cameron franchise is back on the big screen with Avatar: The Way of Water. Yet, while we waited, we got to enjoy a bunch of comics based on the franchise, published by Dark Horse. If you’re curious to check them out, here are all Avatar comics in order.
Every James Cameron Avatar Comic in Order
At the 2015 New York Comic Con, James Cameron revealed through a video message his 10-year partnership deal with Dark Horse to publish a set of comics with events that happen before, during and after the events of the 2009 film. Here’s every comic in order:
- Adapt or Die (2022): is a six-issue series written by Corinna Bechko that serves as a prequel for the first film and explores the initial relationship between the Omaticaya clan and the RDA. It does so by focusing on Grace Augustine and the establishment of her schoolhouse. The year the comic is set is not clear but it should be between the late 2130s and early 2140s, as when the schoolhouse was closed in 2152, in the movie, Grace mentions she invested a decade of her life in the school.
- Tsu’tey’s Path (2019): is a six-issue miniseries written by Sherri L. Smith and it focuses, as given away by the title, on Tsu’tey. This miniseries takes place during the events of the first film and develops certain aspects that were only alluded to.
- Brothers (2017): is the first Avatar comic, a stand-alone issue written by Sherri L. Smith which was released as a special edition to match the 2017 Free Comic Book Day event. This comic is also set during the events of the first film and is seen as an exclusive scene as it shows Jake Sully preparing for the final battle in the Pandoran War as he reminisces about his brother and his stories.
- The Next Shadow (2021): is a four-issue miniseries written by Jeremy Barlow and the first official continuation of the first movie’s events. Set two weeks later, it shows the conflict inside the Omaticaya clan after the rise of Jake to leadership, leading to an assassination attempt on Jake by Tsu’tey’s family. As such, it serves as a prequel to the second Avatar movie.
- The High Ground (2022): is a three-issue miniseries written by Sherri L. Smith, set 14 years after the events of the first movie and The New Shadow comic. This series is based on James Cameron’s original screenplay for Avatar: The Way of Water, prior to rewrites.
There you go! Now you know the order of all Avatar (James Cameron) comics. Before you leave make sure to check our other Avatar-related content here at Twinfinite to discover why are Tulkuns being hunted in Avatar: The Way of Water and how much Avatar 2 The Way of Water needs to make to break even, or just check your Avatar knowledge through our quiz.
- New MMORPG, AVATARA, Launches on PC, Mobile, and Browser
- Avatar Film Starring Zuko Reported for 2026, Could the Search for Ursa Be Involved?
- Pre-Registration Officially Begins For the Upcoming Avatar Generations Mobile Game
- Why Avatar 2’s Critical Reception Probably Doesn’t Matter For Box Office Success
- 7 Movies Avatar: The Way of Water Outperformed in the Box Office