Out of all the knights in Westeros, none are more celebrated and held to such a high standard than the Kingsguard (or Queensguard, in some cases), and their order dates back to Aegon the Conqueror. Some of the most well-known knights of the Kingsguard were Ser Barristan Selmy and Jaime Lannister, but that’s far into the future. Who is in the Kingsguard in House of the Dragon?
WARNING: The following section contains MAJOR SPOILERS for House of the Dragon and the source material, Fire & Blood.
Who Is in The Kingsguard in House of the Dragon?
The Kingsguard stand out amongst other knights by their impressive armor and white cloaks, not to mention always being very close in proximity to the royal family. In House of the Dragon, here’s everyone in the Kingsguard.
- Ser Ryam Redwyne – Lord Commander of the Kingsguard during Jaehaerys I and Viserys I Targaryen’s reign. Venerated as one of the finest knights in Westeros. He dies peacefully in his sleep in season 1, episode 2.
- Ser Harrold Westerling – Promoted to Lord Commander of the Kingsguard during Viserys I’s reign after Ser Ryam Redwyne’s death. He is sworn to protect Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen.
- Ser Erryk Cargyll – Like Ser Harroled Westerling, Ser Erryk Cargyll is sworn to protect Rhaenyra Targaryen and eventually becomes part of her Queensguard. He is also the identical twin brother of Ser Arryk Cargyll.
- Ser Arryk Cargyll – A knight of the Kingsguard and the identical twin brother of Ser Erryk Cargyll.
- Ser Criston Cole – Ser Criston of House Cole was made a knight of the Kingsguard by Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen due to his experience in combat. After Ser Harrold Westerling dies of old age, Ser Criston Cole is made Commander of the Kingsguard.
- Ser Willis Fell – A knight of Viserys I and Aegon III Targaryen’s Kingsguard. During Aegon III’s reign, he was anointed as Lord Commander.
- Ser Rickard Thorne – Ser Rickard of House Thorne was made a member of the Kingsguard during Viserys I Targaryen’s reign, then continued serving when Aegon II was declared king.
- Ser Steffon Darklyn – Ser Steffon of House Darklyn became a knight of the Kingsguard when Viserys I was king, then the Lord Commander of Princess Rhaenyra’s Queensguard.
- Ser Lorent Marbrand – Another knight that was anointed a night of the Kingsguard during Viserys’ reign, then became Lord Commander of Rhaenyra’s Queensguard after Ser Steffon Darklyn’s death.
With the last being Ser Lorent Marbrand, that is everyone who is in the Kingsguard in House of the Dragon. For more on House of the Dragon, read up on all the members of the Small Council, followed by a history lesson on House Blackfyre.
Featured Image Source: HBO Max
- Fan Poll Compares Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon Season 1 With Surprising Results
- Dragon Size Comparison: House of the Dragon Explained
- House of the Dragon vs. Rings of Power: Which Fantasy Show Is Better?
- What Is the Triarchy in Game of Thrones: House of the Dragon?
- What Books Is House of the Dragon Based On? Answered