Cantata, a very unique-looking tactical-RPG from developer Afterschool Studios, just released its first gameplay trailer at Gamescom 2021, giving players a peek at this fresh take on the genre.
The game uses a grid-like style where players can move a certain amount of spaces to engage enemies and objectives. Fog of war is present, and players will need to be careful about where they tread it seems. It’s difficult to get a feel of what exactly is going on without developers explaining, but there’s definitely some trademark TRPG gameplay at work here.
The narration over the trailer is quite spooky and sounds like some kind of cultist speech. In addition, the visuals of the cutscenes are also very eerie and “raw” looking almost looking like incomplete drawings that were colored in and brought to life. It’s hard to explain, and I don’t mean that as a knock, it’s actually quite striking!
Take a look for yourself below via the trailer provided by IGN. At the moment all we know is that Cantata is “coming soon” for Steam.
- New Slice-and-Dice Platformer Loopmancer Shown off at Gamescom 2021
- CrossfireX Finally Reappears at Gamescom 2021 Showing Off Maps, Game Modes, Characters, & More
- Splitgate Season 0 Revealed With a New Trailer During Gamescom 2021 ONL
- Microsoft Announces Gamescom 2021 Xbox Livestream & More
- Gamescom 2021 Confirms Partnerships & Announces “Games: The New Normal” Theme