You’ve probably heard of Spongebog Squarepants, She-Ra, Kung Fu Panda or The Fairly Oddparents, right? Well, the long-time animator of those aforementioned kids TV shows, Chris Gottron (AKA Konitama), has been busy working on his debut video game: an eye-catchingly gorgeous 2D Zelda-like action-adventure survival experience called Cloudscape.
Interestingly, Cloudscape’s kickstarter campaign comes to an end in just two days’ time, but amazingly its already smashed its initial kickstarter goal by a staggering 300%!
Meanwhile, possibly as a result of its tremendous kickstarter campaign, New York-based publisher Top Hat Studios has announced that they will publish Cloudscape on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and PC. Good news, then, for fans of old-school Zelda-like games, eh?
In celebration of the success of the open-world title’s kickstarter and its new publishing deal, a new trailer showcasing the game in action has dropped on Youtube. Feast your eyes on it below:
Of course, while Cloudscape looks a lot like 1991’s Hyrulean Super Nintendo classic, it also features more modern survival and building mechanics akin to Eric Barone’s critically acclaimed Stardew Valley as well.
For more information, here’s a rundown courtesy of the game’s official press release:
Inspired by classics such as Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Stardew Valley and Animal Crossing, Cloudscape mixes survival, action, exploration and social mechanics. You play as Kumo, a Cloudling who wakes up ashore on a sunny deserted island. You’ll have to explore the island and build a refuge for yourself, because this paradisiac place is not as uninhabited as it looks: monsters roam the island by night and will attack you on sight! You will have to gather materials to craft tools and weapons, forage and fish to get food, stoke your campfire to fend off the darkness of the night… You can perform actions such as mining, cutting down trees for wood, planting and harvesting resources amongst other things to build your farm and thrive on your island.
– Explore a rich world with new exotic locales and unlock many new resources, tools and abilities to help take you further into the world.
– Farm, Fish, Forage and Craft as you brave the wilderness and try to bring heaven to earth!
– A cute, whimsical art style created by a veteran of the animation industry who previously worked on childhood defining cartoons like Spongebob Squarepants.
– Many inhabitants to meet! Make friends, enemies or even find love.
– Fight to survive the night! Craft and uncover new weapons to help defend yourself in the dark, as well as through special dungeons made as a love letter to classic Zelda titles such as A Link To The Past.
– Build a house, decorate it, fill it with stuff! Customize your look with different clothing.
– Catch bugs, tame and raise animals (you CAN pet the doggy!), learn to cook, dig for buried treasure, solve puzzles and uncover secrets.
– A special Nintendo Switch Physical Edition of Cloudscape available as a reward on Kickstarter! Konitama is working with a trusted partner with a track record of delivering on crowdfunded games to facilitate this.