As you make your way through the various biomes on Atropos — Returnal’s hostile, alien planet — you’ll no doubt notice a bunch of consumable items and chests behind stone gates. The solution to actually getting your hands on the items behind them is fairly simple, if you know what you’re looking out for. In this guide, we’ll run you through how to open stone gates in Returnal.
Opening Stone Gates in Returnal
To open a stone gate, you need to look out for a switch in the nearby area with a yellow light in the middle of it. When you aim your weapon at it, it’ll flash red. We’ve included a screenshot so you know what you’re looking out for below.
Shoot at this yellow light and it’ll open the stone gate nearby, giving you access to the goodies it previously blocked you from.
The yellow light will always be in the same ‘room’ or area that the stone gate can be found in. In other words, don’t go venturing through another doorway in search of the switch. They can normally be found high up on pillars not too far from the stone gate itself.
Outside of that, there’s not a whole lot else you need to know about opening stone gates in Returnal. With this knowledge, you should have a little more luck pushing through the trickier areas of each biome.
If you’re looking for more tips, tricks and guides to help you push further through Atropos’ various biomes, be sure to head over to our wiki or check out more of our coverage on the game below.
- Returnal’s Patch 1.3.3 Gets Pulled After Reports of Save Data Corruption
- New Returnal Patch 1.3.3 Notes Reveal Bug Fixes & Stability Improvements, But No Save System
- Returnal Has Debug Cheats You Can Access by Plugging in a Keyboard, But Not For Long
- PSA For Returnal Players: Set Your PS5 Auto-Update to Off to Avoid Losing Run Progress
- Returnal Has Reminded Me That Variety Is the Spice of Life