Today Electronic Arts released its financial results for the fourth quarter of the fiscal year 2021, related to the period ended on March 31, 2020.
You can find a summary in the tables below, related both to the quarter and the full fiscal year.
As usual, the press releases includes a statement from chief executive officer Andrew Wilson
“Our teams have done incredible work over the last year to deliver amazing experiences during a very challenging time for everyone around the world.
With tremendous engagement across our portfolio, we delivered a record year for Electronic Arts. We’re now accelerating in FY22, powered by expansion of our blockbuster franchises to more platforms and geographies, a deep pipeline of new content, and recent acquisitions that will be catalysts for further growth.”
We also hear from chief operating and financial officer Blake Jorgensen, who mentions that Electronic Arts expects further growth in the current fiscal year.
“EA delivered a strong quarter, driven by live services and Apex Legends’ extraordinary performance. Apex steadily grew through the last year, driven by the games team and the content they are delivering.
Looking forward, the momentum in our existing live services provides a solid foundation for FY22. Combined with a new Battlefield and our recent acquisitions, we expect net bookings growth in the high teens.”
We also get a number of highlights of the publisher’s performance and financial metrics. We learn that The Sims 4 reached almost 36 million players (up from 33 a quarter ago), FIFA 21 passed 25 million players, and Apex Legends is confirmed at over 100 million.
Selected Operating Highlights and Metrics
- Net bookings for fiscal 2021 was $6.190 billion, up 15% year-over-year, and over $600 million above original expectations.
- Delivered 13 new games and had more than 42 million new players join our network during the fiscal year.
- FIFA 21, life to date, has more than 25 million console/PC players.
- FIFA Ultimate Team players grew 16% year-over-year and FUT matches were up 180%.
- Apex Legends has more than 100 million players life to date on console/PC, and Season 8 had more than 12 million weekly average players.
- Record number of new players joined Madden NFL on console/PC during fiscal 21.
- The Sims 4, life to date, has almost 36 million players and delivered its sixth consecutive year of franchise growth.
Selected Financial Highlights and Metrics
- Net cash provided by operating activities was $371 million for the quarter and $1.934 billion for the fiscal year.
- EA repurchased 2.4 million shares for $325 million during the quarter, bringing the total for the fiscal year to 5.6 million shares for $729 million.
- EA paid a cash dividend of $0.17 per share during the quarter.
If you’d like to compare, you can check out the results for the previous quarter, which were disclosed in February.