Today British indie developer Phigames and publisher Dear Villagers announced that their game Recompile is coming to next-gen consoles.
Below you can enjoy a trailer that came with the press release alongside a batch of official screenshots.
If you’re unfamiliar with Recompile, here’s how its developers officially describe it.
Recompile features intense combat, tight 3D platforming, super-powered abilities and environmental physics-based hacking mechanics – everything, right down to foes, can be hacked. World obstacles include intelligent enemies and intricate environmental circuitry, and both require the mastery of new abilities such as time dilation and flying with a jetpack!
The adventure is built around a branching narrative system unique to the Metroidvania genre. Unlike a typical Metroidvania, it uses a dynamic narrative system based on playstyle, meaning player decisions alter the world and can lead to any one of multiple endings.
The story explores everything from machine sentience to the nature of reality. The player is a rogue piece of semi-sentient code, trapped in The Mainframe – a sprawling digital wasteland dead-set on deleting trespassers.
- Metroidvania progression combined with a unique narrative branching system.
- A range of futuristic weapons and super-powered abilities, including a jetpack!
- Intense and intelligent combat
- Hack through environmental circuitry, logic gates & even enemies.
- Multiple endings depending on playstyle.
- Face colossal entities blocking your path to freedom
- Reactive soundtrack of blistering electro.