How to Use Class Abilities in Destiny 2
Destiny 2 isn’t changing up how players control their Guardians too much. After all, the gameplay was one of the shining points of the first game and you shouldn’t try to fix what isn’t broken. That doesn’t mean that Bungie didn’t tweak a thing or two, though, which brought players a new mechanic called class abilities. These are class specific powers that transcend specific subclasses and provide new strategic options, especially for Fireteams. The class abilities in Destiny 2 are:
- Healing Rift – A pool of light that heals the player and allies that stand inside of it.
- Empowering Rift – This one increases the attack of those inside.
- Towering Barricade – A large wall that blocks all damage coming from a direction.
- Rally Barricade – A much smaller wall (about waist-high) that allows you take cover and reloads your weapons when you do so.
- Marksman’s Dodge – Reloads your weapons when you dodge.
- Gambler’s Dodge – Helps to charge your melee energy if dodging while close to enemies.
As you can see, each of the class abilities in Destiny 2 offers an interesting option whether it’s providing healing support, helping you get into and out of the prey, or throwing up some protection for your team and creating choke points. The best part is that using these class abilities in Destiny 2 is actually really simple. All you have to do is hold the crouch button (Circle on PS4, B on Xbox One). The class abilities are on a cooldown just like your grenade and special melee power, so as long as you have a charge, you’ll see your special class ability spring to life. That’s all there is to it.
Take time to get a feel for each one so that you can see how they work best for your playstyle in Destiny 2. Also, coordinate with your Fireteam members so you each get the most out of these powers… except for the Hunter. You just keep dodging.
Safe travels, Guardians, and good luck.