Developed by FromSoftware and published by Bandai Namco, Elden Ring is easily one of the most highly anticipated video game releases of the year. It features that same satisfying combat fans have come to expect from From Software, as well as a story and lore co-written with George R.R. Martin, best known for writing the A Song of Ice and Fire book series. This can be a pretty challenging game, but you can make things a little easier on yourself by making use of various NPC summons. Here’s how to use Spirit Ashes and summon Spirits in Elden Ring.
While there are the traditional NPC summons that you can make use of like in previous Soulsborne games, Elden Ring also introduces Spirit Ashes, which are reusable items that you can put in your inventory slots. Upon using them, you can summon Spirits to aid you in battle.
Using Spirit Ashes in Elden Ring
- First off, you need the Spirit Calling Bell.
You can obtain this as a gift from Renna the Witch, who shows up at the Church of Elleh Site of Grace after you meet Melina and gain the ability to level up.
- After that, you need a Spirit Ash.
There are quite a few Spirit Ashes to collect in Elden Ring, though you’ll need to search for them. Godrick’s Soldiers, for instance, can be found in the jellyfish graveyard in Limgrave, near Stormveil Castle, while the Jellyfish can be obtained from Roderika.
- Equip the Spirit Ash by putting it in one of your inventory slots.
- Look out for the small purple icon that appears on the left side of the screen whenever you enter a summoning area.
You won’t be able to summon Spirit Ashes just anywhere in The Lands Between. Summoning usually only becomes available in boss arenas, or in areas where you’re forced to deal with a particular challenging enemy ambush.
- Select the Ash by pressing down on your d-pad to scroll to it, then press the square or X button to use it.
This will consume FP and summon the Spirit to your side. Do note that if you leave the summoning area, they’ll disappear.
You can only summon one type of Spirit at a time, and you can use the Ashes again to dismiss them if you wish. They can also be further upgraded with Grave Gloveworts, though you’ll need to find the Chrysalids’ Memento first and complete Roderika’s quest before Spirit Tuning becomes available.
- Best Elden Ring Progression Route
- How to Fix a Connection Error Occurred in Elden Ring
- Elden Ring: How to Get Somber Smithing Stone 8 & 9
- What to Do After Beating Fire Giant in Elden Ring
- What Does Arcane Do in Elden Ring?