Ghost of Tsushima offers players a plethora of aesthetic customization options. Whether you’re wanting to bust through the front door of a Mongol camp in glistening samurai armor or sneak through the bushes like a deathly ronin, there’s an outfit to suit you. Also, more importantly, there are loads of cool straw hats! Here’s how to change character appearance in Ghost of Tsushima.
How to Change Character Appearance in Ghost of Tsushima
Changing Jin’s appearance in the game falls into several different categories: equipping new armor obviously changes his appearance, but so too does upgrading that armor to a new tier. Also, purchasing new dyes from merchant traders allows players to change the color of Jin’s armor, swords, and bows.
Before you change Jin’s appearance, you’ll have to either find new gear — though once you’re past the game’s prologue you should already have access to both the Broken Armor and Traveller’s attire. Any armor you can equip from then on will be given to you after the completion of quests.
Once you have a new armor set, visit the armorer to purchase an upgrade that both improves its buffs and changes its appearance. You can either choose to keep this new appearance or press triangle to return the armor to its previous look (but still keep the new buffs). You’ll also be able to visit the merchant to purchase a dye.
Note that merchants will offer new colors as the game progresses.
As for other items of apparel, here’s a quick breakdown of where and how to find/purchase them.
- Armor – Acquired by completing main quests, side quests, and mythic tales.
- Masks – Acquired by completing main and side quests, also found on gift alters. You will likely get your first mask as part of the main story quest that takes Jin back to his ancestral home.
- Headbands – Acquired by visiting Haiku spots and composing poetry (question mark activity).
- Hats – Purchased from merchants
- Helmets – Found during main and side quests, typically come with full armor sets such as the Clan Sakai Armor.
- Sword and Bow designs – Purchased from merchants
Now, as for how to actually change your appearance in terms of controls, here’s a step-by-step:
- Press options button
- Cycle across to “Gear”
- Choose an armor slot you wish to change, then choose a new item of gear. You can cycle between colors using the d-pad. Press X to confirm.
That should be everything you need to know about how to change character appearance in Ghost of Tsushima. For more useful information on the game, be sure to check out Twinfinite’s extensive guide wiki.
- UK Sales: Animal Crossing New Horizons Beats Ghost of Tsushima; TLOU2 Drops out of Top 10
- Ticking off Ghost of Tsushima’s Map Is Incredibly Therapeutic
- Ghost of Tsushima’s Best Moments Are the Chill Ones
- Impressive Ghost of Tsushima Stats Revealed by PlayStation
- Ghost of Tsushima Is a Breath of Fresh Air After The Last of Us Part II