After the success of last year’s Resident Evil 2 remake, Capcom has certainly wasted no time in pushing out yet another remake of another one of their classic games from the PS1 era. The brand new Resident Evil 3 remake is out this week, sending players back to the wrecked Raccoon City in the shoes of Jill Valentine. Before you jump in, though, here are some beginner tips and tricks to help you get started in Resident Evil 3.
Get Used to the Quickstep
A new mechanic introduced in Resident Evil 3 that wasn’t in the RE2 remake from last year is the quickstep. Yes, in Resident Evil 3, you can actually actively dodge away from enemy attacks, and it can come in extremely handy in tight situations.
Whereas in the RE2 remake where a good strategy for dealing with enemies was by dismembering them (still a good tactic in this game), Resident Evil 3 allows you to be a little more fancy. By hitting the R1 button, you can get Jill to perform a quickstep in any direction that your left stick is tilted towards.
While this doesn’t work very well with large groups of zombies, it can work wonders when you’re just dealing with one or two at a time. It allows you to save ammo, which is a huge deal when you eventually start playing on Hardcore difficulty.
What you want to do is try to bait an enemy towards you and lunge, then quickstep to the side or past them. Even if you do get grabbed, this game gives you a chance of wiggling out of their grasp if you can mash buttons fast enough.
- Capcom Plans to Release “Multiple Major” Games This Fiscal Year; Resident Evil 3 Has Shipped 2.5 Million Units
- 5 Best Resident Evil 3 Remake Mods You Need to Try
- A Beginner’s Guide to Resident Evil 3 Speedrunning
- Resident Evil 3’s Inferno Difficulty Has Been Beaten With No Damage Taken & No Infinite Ammo
- Resident Evil 2 vs. Resident Evil 3: Which Is the Better Remake?