If you’re intent on filling your Critterpedia in Animal Crossing: New Horizons, you’ll need to catch every bug and fish in the game. That includes the rather aggressive tarantula that’ll attack you if you make sudden movements too close to one. This can make catching them a real pain, but that doesn’t mean it’s impossible. Here’s how to catch tarantulas in Animal Crossing: New Horizons.
Catching Tarantulas in Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Before you go out exploring your island in search of a tarantula, you’ll want to make sure you’re going out when they’re even out and about. Like other insects and fish in the game, tarantulas are seasonal and only come out in certain months and at certain hours within a day.
You can only catch tarantulas between the hours of 7:00 PM and 4:00 AM in the months of January, February, March, April, November, and December.
Time needed: 1 minute.
How to Catch Tarantulas in Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Step-by-Step)
- Find a tarantula
As long as you’re out when tarantulas can be caught, walk around your island or visit one with a Nook Miles Ticket. Tarantulas will randomly be scuttling about on the ground.
- Get Your Net Ready by holding A with it equipped
When you see one, don’t get too close, equip your net, and hold A to raise it and have it readied.
- Walk slowly towards the tarantula until it rears its legs. Stop!
Begin walking very slowly over to the tarantula until it rears its legs. When it does, stop again. (Image Credit: Milltendo (YouTube)
- Wait until the tarantula stops rearing its front legs. Move forward slowly until it does again.
After no more than 10 seconds, the tarantula will stop rearing its legs and return to normal. Begin walking towards it again until it rears again. (Image Credit: Milltendo (YouTube)
- Repeat steps 3-4 until it’s in range of your net and let go of A.
- Congratulations, you’ve just caught a tarantula.
(Image Credit: Milltendo (YouTube)
Once you’ve caught a tarantula, you can either donate it to Blathers at the Museum if you haven’t already, or you can sell it to Timmy and Tommy at their shop for 8,000 Bells. Keep in mind that if you sell tarantulas (like anything else) in the Drop Off Box outside their shop when it’s shut, you won’t get as much.
That’s all you need to know on how to catch tarantulas in Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Head over to our wiki for more guides, search Twinfinite for all your video game needs, or check out more of our coverage on New Horizons below.
- Animal Crossing New Horizons: All Turkey Day Secret Ingredients
- Animal Crossing New Horizons: How to Start Turkey Day
- Animal Crossing New Horizons: How to Get the Yule Log
- Animal Crossing New Horizons: How to Increase Item Storage
- Animal Crossing New Horizons: How to Sit