Animal Crossing: New Horizons offers much of what the series is known for: expanding and decorating your house, outdoor activities, and a cast of colorful characters. But the new title features a different way on how you meet those colorful characters. Here’s how to get more villagers to live on your island in Animal Crossing: New Horizons.
Get More Villagers to Live on Your Island
In previous Animal Crossing games, your town would grow in population somewhat randomly. One day, a house would appear suddenly and your town would have a new visitor.
The new game handles growing your town with more active tasks, such as players needing to find the potential villagers and recruit them. The way to recruit villagers is by seeking them out on other islands.
Early on in the game, Tom Nook gives you a free Nook Miles Ticket which allows you to visit other islands to gather different resources and wildlife. These islands can also contain villagers that can be recruited by simply talking to them. These loners will pine to you about a place they can call home themselves, and you can choose whether they come with you or not.
They don’t immediately come with you though. Back on your island, Tom Nook will hand a building kit so you can plot out where this new villager will live.
Once you select a spot, you then have to furnish the house with several pieces of furniture, that can be crafted, before the villager comes to make it a home. The full list of items required can be found on the numbered box outside the building construction area.
Time needed: 1 hour.
In short, here’s how to get more villagers to live on your island in Animal Crossing: New Horizons:
- Use a Nook Miles Ticket at your island’s airport to travel to a different, smaller island.
Can be purchased at the Nook Stop machine inside Resident Services for 2,000 Nook Miles, though a free ticket is given away at the start of the game.
- Convince the potential villager to come back to your island.
- Talk to Tom Nook and he will give you a building kit.
- Select where the new villager will live on your island.
- Check the numbered box at the construction site for a list of furniture.
- Craft/buy the necessary furniture and place in exterior or interior of the construction site according the numbered box.
- Wait for new villager to move in officially.