When you first start out in Animal Crossing: New Horizons, you’re only going to have a tent to live in. It’s limited in space, and not exactly how you want to spend living the rest of your days. Here’s how to get a house in Animal Crossing: New Horizons, so you can finally be a homeowner.
Getting a House in Animal Crossing: New Horizons
First things first, you’re going to need to make your way to Residential Services. The location of it will vary depending on the layout of the island you chose.
Once here, go inside and talk to Tom Nook. You’ll have the option to upgrade your house when speaking to him. After a bit of spiel about labor and remodelling costs, Tom Nook will give you the price you’ll have to pay. Or the loan you’ll have to repay in typical Animal Crossing fashion.
Specifically, you’re going to need to take out a loan of 98,000 Bells to get your first home. This is quite a lot of Bells, but remember that just about everything you do in the game can help you earn money.
On top of that, Tom Nook isn’t a completely horrible raccoon. The loans he offers you for your first home and any future extensions you make to it are all interest free, and there’s no minimum repayment or anything you’ll need to make in a set time limit. You’re free to repay the loan at your own leisure, so don’t stress about it too much.
All House Upgrades & Extensions in Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Once you’ve paid off the loan for your house, speaking to Tom Nook will give you the option to extend and upgrade your house further.
Of course, nothing comes for free. Tom Nook will offer you loans of increasing amounts to cover the costs of these extensions. We’ve listed all of these, including the cost in Bells below.
- From Tent to House: 98,000 Bells
- 1st House Expansion: 198,000 Bells
- 2nd House Upgrade: 348,000 Bells
- 3rd House Upgrade: 548,000 Bells
- 4th House Upgrade: 758,000 Bells
- 5th Upgrade: 1,248,000 Bells
- 6th Upgrade: 2,498,000 Bells
House Exterior Customization
Once you’ve finished paying off your final, extortionate loan of 2,498,000 Bells, Tom Nook will thank you for your cooperation. He’ll then let you know that Nook Inc. is there for you for life, and you’ll now be given a full range of roofs, bricks/ siding, doors, and mailboxes to choose from.
You can make one change to the exterior of your house each day, with it being completed the day after. These customization changes do not cost you either, so be sure to experiment and make the most of it.
That’s everything you need to know on how to get a house in Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Head over to our wiki for more tips and tricks. You can also search for Twinfinite, or check out more of our coverage below.
- Disney’s Hercules Song Zero to Hero Recreated via Animal Crossing New Horizons
- Animal Crossing New Horizons User Adorably Re-Creates Rainbow Road
- Animal Crossing New Horizons Update Is Bringing Back Festivale
- UK Sales: Animal Crossing New Horizons Beats Ghost of Tsushima; TLOU2 Drops out of Top 10
- Furifu, Japanese Kimono Company, Releases 10 Yukata Designs For Animal Crossing New Horizons