How to Complete All Secret Missions in Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition
Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition makes a lengthy JRPG even longer with loads of new content to dig into. If you’re familiar with the original game, you’ll know about the handful of Secret Missions the game has for boss battles, making things even more challenging. Here’s how to complete all Secret Missions in Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition.
Completing Secret Missions can net you some valuable rewards, and each one also nabs you a trophy/achievement as well.
We’ll list off each of the Secret Missions in the order that they appear and what boss it’s for. Keep in mind that simply by knowing bosses further in the game you may be opening yourself up to spoilers.
- 1 – Zagi – Defeat Zagi with Estellize taking too much damage.
- 2 – Goliath – Knock down the Goliath. This is done by hitting its weak point when it’s readying its X-Buster attack.
- 3 – Gattuso – Knock down the Gattuso with the Biribariha Flower. Attack the flower when the boss is near it.
- 4 – Zagi (second battle) – Knock Zagi off the side of the ship using Overlimites when he’s in the air.
- 5 – Dreaded Giant – Knock down the Dreaded Giant when it raises it’s front legs to attack.
- 6 – Gigalarva – Use Raven’s Serpent arte to blow up Gigalarva’s tail when it tries to heal. Control Raven directly and use Serpent to place a glyph directly below the boss’ tail.
- 7 – Barbos – Destroy all the bridges to prevent Barbos’ reinforcements. You can target and attack the four switches that control the bridges.
- 8 – Cursed Wanderer – Knock down the Cursed Wanderer when it reloads its revolver.
- 9 – Zagi (third battle) – Let Zagi absorb too much aer, making his blastia explode.
- 10 – Pteropus – Destroy the leader bat when Pteropus splits up. At some point the boss will split into a bunch of smaller bats, so just change your target and find the leader one.
- 11 – Outbreaker – Destroy the Outbreaker’s core. Occasionally the boss will spit out its core, so when it does, target the core with your party and wail on it.
- 12 – Belius – When Belius splits up, light the torches with fire attacks and dispel the illusion. This is easily done by controlling Yuri and hitting the torches with Destruction Field.
- 13 – Tison and Nan – Knock down Tison and Nan when they use attacks that leave them stuck in the ground. Just watch for the bosses to use attacks that get their weapons stuck, then hit them while they’re struggling to pull their weapon out.
- 14 – Schwann – Recover and knock down Schwann after he uses Blast Heart. You have literally one chance to do this mission, after Schwann uses his Mystic Art. He’ll be momentarily stunned so make it a priority to hit him immediately after.
- 15 – Zagi (fourth battle) – Heal Zagi with Karol’s Nice Recovery Smash after he’s poisoned.
- 16 – Baitojoh – Knock Baitojoh out from under the ice when it uses “Moving Ice Blade.” You need to hit the boss’ fin three times when it dives into the ice, pretty simple.
- 17 – Estelle – Use Mother’s Memento when fighting Estelle alone. Go through the first phase and wait until it’s just Estelle against Yuri, then open your menu and use the item.
- 18 – Yeager – After Yeager reveals his blastia heart, guard break him and then use Raven’s Rain arte. This is most easily done by controlling Yuri and shortcutting Raven’s Rain. Use Destruction Field or another hard-hitting arte to guard break Yeager, then use Raven’s Rain.
- 19 – Alexei – Knock down Alexei after he uses Brilliant Cataclysm. Unlike the Schwann fight, Alexei will use his Mystic Arte multiple times, so attack and knock him down after he uses it.
- 20 – Cursed Wanderer (Final Battle) – Use the Maris Stella against Cursed Wanderer. You’ll get the Maris Stella item in Zaude by approaching the center gate before you unlock it with a red orb.
- 21 – Gusios – Attack Gusios tail, then down him with an attack while his feet are in the air. This mission is basically the same as the one with the Dreaded Giant, you’ll just need to attack Gusios’ tail before he’ll raise up.
- 22 – Khroma Dragon – Knock down Khroma Dragon after she uses her Earthquake attack. Make sure to strike her after she hits the ground for the attack.
- 23 – Flynn – Have Flynn use every arte he can, including Mystic Artes. You’ll need to draw the battle out just a tiny bit to get this mission. It’s also important to note that you don’t need to win to progress the story, but you have to win in order to fully complete the secret mission.
- 24 – Zagi (fifth battle) – Knock down Zagi when he uses Blastia Bane. Whenever Zagi starts using Blastia Bane, immediately assault him with your heavy hitting artes, like Yuri’s Destruction Field, in order to knock him down.
- 25 – Duke (Second Form) – Finish off Duke with a Mystic Arte. It’s important to note that you have to finish off Duke’s second form with a Mystic Art, not his first one. Make sure you have a few Magic Lens for this battle to check Duke’s HP, and save your Overlimit at level 4 until he’s down to low health. Once he hits about 10-15,000 HP, unleash your strongest Mystic Arte.
How to Retry Secret Missions
In the original version of Tales of Vesperia there was, sadly, no way to redo boss battles and try Secret Missions again. Luckily, that’s one of the best changes the Definitive Edition brings to the table.
Later in the third story arc, you’ll reach Nam Cobana Island, a place filled with little mini-games and fun things to do. By talking to the cow kid in the upper right corner of the outdoor area, you can retry any boss battle from the game.
The catch, of course, is that you’ll need 300 chips (Nam Cobanda chips not gald) in order to retry a battle. This applies to every time you retry one. It’s a bit of a steep price, but at least you’ll have a way to mop up any secret missions you might have missed.
That’s how to complete all secret missions in Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition. Make sure to search Twinfinite for more tips and tricks on Tales of Vesperia, like how to change your party avatar. You can also take a look at our review, to see why we call it a JRPG classic.