If you’ve just got into Mojang Studios’ popular game and have begun exploring its many different game modes, you might well be wondering what SMP means in Minecraft. Here’s everything you need to know about the subject.
What Does SMP Mean in Minecraft? Answered
If you’ve heard the term SMP being thrown around in Minecraft, it’s actually a somewhat generic term within the genre that means “Survival Multiplayer.” Survival is a core mechanic of Minecraft and has been since its launch; SMP servers are an extension of that facet of the game, tasking players with surviving different block worlds that each have their own established lore and rules. Many SMP servers started off as a bunch of friends on a server before growing and becoming something of a community.
As you probably already know, Minecraft has three modes: Survival, Creative, and Hardcore. SMP is a variation on Survival mode. There are a few different categories of SMPs, but they are all more or less the same thing. The differences between them boil down to the extent to which they are modded and the PvP dynamics.
Common types of SMPs include Anarchy, Vanilla, Semi-Vanilla, Modded, Peaceful, and Factions.
- Anarchy – a free for all server style with very few rules
- Vanilla – the original Minecraft experience
- Semi-Vanilla – original Minecraft but with various plugins to reduce the grind and improve quality-of-life features
- Modded – there are many different variations of modded, but this is essentially any SMP that puts a focus on creativity
- Peaceful – PVP switched off
- Factions – offers the ability to form clans/factions with friends
Joining an SMP server is simple. You just need to find the server you want to join from a website such as minecraftservers.org or Minecraft-server-list.com. From there, it’s just a case of typing in the IP address of the SMP server and joining in the fun.
- What Are Echo Shards in Minecraft & Where To Find Them
- All Minecraft Championship (MCC) Winners
- How to Find an Ancient City in Minecraft
- How to Vote for the Next Minecraft Mob in the Minecraft Mob Vote 2022
- What Does Efficiency Do in Minecraft? Answered