The Gen IV remakes contain eight HMs that can be obtained throughout the journey from Twinleaf all the way to the Pokemon League, but it’s not immediately obvious how to use them all. Here’s how to use the Defog HM in Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl.
How to Use Defog HM
Defog is one of two HMs that don’t activate by simply pressing A in the right situation. If you’re surrounded by thick fog, open up your Poketch by pressing R. Go to the Hidden Moves section, then press A on Defog to actually use it to clear the screen.
You’ll also need to defeat the Gym Leader of Pastoria City, Crasher Wake, before you can select Defog in the Poketch for use outside of battle. Before defeating him, the HM will be greyed out in the Poketch menu.
This is the only HM that needs to be selected directly from the Poketch, so it’s understandably a bit confusing. Most of the others are activated with the press of a button when their corresponding obstacle is right in front of you.
How to Get Defog HM
We’ve covered how to get this HM in more detail in another guide that you can check out right here. But, in short, the Defog HM can be obtained by speaking to the green-haired NPC standing just inside the Pastoria Great Marsh area found on the north end of Pastoria City.
That’s everything you need to know about how to use the Defog Hm in Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl. Be sure to check out our guide wiki on the game for more tips, tricks, and other useful info if you’re looking for more pointers.
You can also have a look at the related articles below for more of our Pokemon coverage for the Gen IV remakes.
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Players Can Log In Today for an Easter Egg
- Fan Creates a Beautiful Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Canalave City Papercraft
- Yet Another Dupe Glitch Has Surfaced in Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Speedrunner Finishes Pokedex in One Day
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Speedrunners are Now Beating the Game in Under an Hour