The Mass Effect series puts players in tough situations many times throughout the trilogy. One of the earliest examples of this is on the planet Feros in the first game. If you’re having trouble going the pure Paragon route there, we’re here to help. Here’s how to save all of the Zhu’s Hope colonists in Mass Effect 1.
How to Save Zhu’s Hope Colonists in Mass Effect 1
Soon after landing on Feros to find out what the Geth are after, you’ll need to defend a small colony called Zhu’s Hope from a Geth attack. As you progress through the ExoGeni building, you’ll find out that the colonists are being controlled by a plant-like being called the Therion. Soon after leaving the building, Lizbeth Baynham will exit the Mako to reunite with her mother, Juliana Baynham.
Using Anti-Thorian Gas Grenades
Speak to the mother/daughter duo to receive Anti-Thorian Gas grenades that will take down the mind-controlled colonists in a non-lethal way. Make sure to equip them because the game won’t do it for you. You don’t want to accidentally blow anyone up. Open the pause menu, select Equipment, go to the grenades section, then equip the anti-Thorian ones. Press X on Xbox or Square on PlayStation in this menu to see your grenade “upgrade” options.
Also, to save them from gunfire, be sure to tell your squad not to shoot any colonists when the dialogue option comes up right before you get back to Zhu’s Hope. You can, however, shoot the grey Thorian Creeper enemies. Just make sure not to hit any unintended targets.
Use X on Xbox or Square on PlayStation to throw grenades, then press the same button again to detonate them. Though, depending on your upgrades, you may not have many grenades to throw. Don’t worry, you have one more option.
Using Melee Attacks
Once you run out of Anti-Thorian Gas grenades, you can still save the Zhu’s Hope colonists by using melee attacks to take them out. Use B on Xbox or Circle on PlayStation to hit them until their health bars are depleted. It’ll look pretty brutal, but it won’t kill them.
Pay attention to the counter at the bottom right corner of the screen to make sure that the number of colonists alive doesn’t drop below 16 (the total number of colonists). If it does, reload your save. This part of the mission will end once all of the colonists are dealt with.
Time needed: 20 minutes.
- Speak with Lizbeth and Juliana Baynham after leaving ExoGeni.
- Equip the Anti-Thorian Gas grenades before getting to Zhu’s Hope.
- Tell your squad not to shoot any colonists when the dialogue option shows up.
- Use the gas grenades and/or melee attacks to take out the colonists non-lethally.
The number of living colonists should always be 16.
That’s everything you need to know about how to save all of the Zhu’s Hope colonists in Mass Effect 1. Check out our guide wiki for Mass Effect Legendary Edition for more tips, tricks, and other general info.
- Mass Effect Legendary Edition’s Latest Patch Improves PC Performance, Adds Subtitle Options & More
- Mass Effect Legendary Edition Roasts Gamestop on the Citadel
- Mass Effect Legendary Edition Finally Changes Tali’s Stock Photo Face
- Mass Effect Legendary Edition’s Latest Patch Fixes Crashing Issues, Achievement Tracking & More
- Is Mass Effect Legendary Edition Worth It? What You Need to Know