Sucker Punch Production’s new samurai action game is the latest open-world adventure from a Sony first-party studio. As the name implies, Ghost of Tsushima takes place on the island archipelago of Tsushima, off the south-western tip of the main Japanese isles.
As has always been our curiosity with big sandbox games here at Twinfinite, we’ve gone about doing our best to measure the map and come up with a rough estimate as to how large it is in comparison to other games in the genre.
Taking measurements can often be a huge pain, but thankfully Ghost of Tsushima features a waypoint system that indicates distance in kilometers. Combine that with the fact that its two islands are roughly rectangular, and we can come with a somewhat accurate estimate.
As you can see in the above image, we measured the length and distance of both islands at their widest points to turn them into rectangles that roughly represent their total area. Then it is just a case of multiplying the two values to get an area squared calculation.
- North Island – 7.5 x 2.5 = 18.75km2
- South Island – 4.6 x 2.1 = 9.87km2
Therefore, Tsushima’s total square area is roughly 28.62km2 or 11.02mi²
So how does this compare with other open-world games from this console generation? Well, here are some other maps we’ve measured in the past. For a full list, check out our top 25 largest open-world maps article (soon to be updated).
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 28.9 mile²
- The Witcher 3 (Including Toussaint) – 20.8 mile²
- Ghost of Tsushima – 11.02 mile²
- Kingdom Come: Deliverance 6.1 mile²
- Marvel’s Spider-Man – 4.62 mile²
It’s an impressive size, certainly, though substantially smaller than the actual Tsushima archipelago. A 1:1 scale would have made the map a whopping 273.6 mile², which actually wouldn’t have been the biggest map in video games ever. That title would still be held by Just Cause 4’s incredible 400 mile² sandbox.
For more on Ghost of Tsushima, do check out our review if you haven’t already.
- Ghosts ‘n Goblins Resurrection Video Shows Gameplay Aplenty & Developer Commentary
- New Phasmophobia Update Lets Ghosts Listen Out for Player Voices
- Greedfall: How to Save Wilhelm (Amongst the Ghosts Quest)
- Sense: A Cyberpunk Ghost Story Publisher “Categorically Refuses” Censorship Ahead of Console Release
- Ghost of Tsushima Voted Game of the Year by Japanese Game Developers & More on Famitsu