Using cover is tantamount to succeeding in combat in The Last of Us 2. Stealth and sneaky takedowns are the order of the day, but sometimes you’re going to have to go all-guns-blazing. During these moments, you may struggle to find cover in your environment. In these moments, you’re going to want to know how to use enemies as human shields in The Last of Us 2.
Using Enemies as Human Shields in The Last of Us 2
To use enemies as human shields, you’ll need to sneak up behind an enemy and then press Square to grab them. Ellie will struggle with the enemy you’re trying to grab and then you’ll have control of them.
Once you’ve got your human shield, you’ll be able to move around as usual with the left analog stick, aim your weapon with L2 and the right analog stick, and fire your weapon with R2.
Using the human shield is incredibly effective during intense combat scenarios where you’re facing off against multiple enemies at once but don’t have a whole lot of cover to use.
It’s also worth pointing out that Infected (apart from Runners) cannot be crept up on and turned into human shields. This is only something you can do on the human enemies in the game.
When you’re done with your human shield, you can either press Square to melee kill them, or press R2 to shoot them. Remember, if you want to aim at another enemy, you need to press L2 and then fire at them with R2.
Using Human Shields in The Last of Us 2:
- Creep Up Behind an Enemy
Do not try doing this on an infected enemy unless they’re runners. It will only work on humans.
- Press Square to grab your enemy from behind and turn them into a human shield.
- Use left analog stick to move around and L2 and the right analog stick to aim your weapon. Fire your weapon with R2 while aiming.
- To drop your human shield, press Square to melee kill them, or R2 to shoot them in the head.
That’s everything you need to know on how to use enemies as human shields in The Last of Us 2. For more tips, tricks, and guides, head on over to our guide wiki, or have a flick through even more of our coverage on the game below.
- 5 Unanswered Questions We Still Have After Finishing The Last of Us 2 (Spoilers)
- Last of Us 2: Is Lev a Girl? Explained (Spoilers)
- Last of Us 2: Does Abby Die? Answered (Spoilers)
- Last of Us 2: Does Tommy Die? Answered (Spoilers)
- Last of Us 2: Where Does Dina Go? (Spoilers)