Animal Crossing New Horizons adds so much more to the beloved Nintendo franchise. However, longtime fans will still find a lot they’re familiar with. Like digging! Here’s how to get a shovel in Animal Crossing New Horizons.
You use this faithful tool when you want to plant stuff or dig up treasures like fossils, pitfalls, and more.
How to Get a Shovel in Animal Crossing New Horizons
Crafting a Shovel
To craft a shovel, you’ll first need to get the DIY Recipe for it. To get this, you’ll need to follow these steps:
- When you get access to Tom Nook’s DIY Workshop after your first sleep on the island, you’ll be able given the crafting recipes for a Flimsy Fishing Rod and a Flimsy Net. Use these to catch five bugs or fish and take them to Tom Nook.
- After giving him five, Tom Nook will get a call from Blathers who says he wants to open a new museum on Nook’s deserted island. Tom Nook will give you a tent to go and place around your island, wherever you’d like Blathers and his Museum to be. Place the tent wherever you’d like.
- You’ll now need to wait until the next real-life day. Load up the game and you’ll find Blathers is inside his tent. Speak to him and he’ll end up giving your the crafting recipe for the shovel so you can dig up some fossils.
Once you’ve got the crafting recipe, you can make a shovel with five pieces of hardwood.
Do keep in mind this is only the first one you can make! It’ll break often, but it’ll get you started on the island nicely.
Where to Buy a Shovel
If making them isn’t for you, the game allows you to just use your hard-earned bells to buy them, instead!
Go to Nook’s Cranny (the shop) and interact with their cabinet. It should be in the back. Once you do, you’ll be able to shop for tools!
Upgrading Your Shovel in Animal Crossing New Horizons
You’re going to get tired of that flimsy ol’ thing breaking on you a bunch, though. So it might be time to upgrade!
To upgrade your shovel in Animal Crossing: New Horizons, you’ll need to get the Pretty Good Tools kit. This can be purchased by redeeming 2,000 Nook Miles at a Nook Stop.
Once you’ve purchased the Pretty Good Tools kit, you’ll then be able to get a better shovel by crafting one at a workbench with the following items:
- Iron Nugget x1
- Flimsy Shovel x1
In order to actually use the shovel, you’re going to want to use it whenever you want to plant something or dig at mounds.
When you’re ready to use it, just press A while you have it equipped. Your character will use it on the spot they’re facing.
But that’s it! That’s how to get a shovel in Animal Crossing New Horizons. If you need more help with the game, let us know down below. Otherwise, you can head over to the Animal Crossing wiki.
- Here’s How the Mario Warp Pipes Will Work in Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- Super Mario Themed Items Are Coming to Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- Animal Crossing New Horizons: How to Get the Festivale Float
- Animal Crossing New Horizons: How to Get Valentine’s Day Items
- Animal Crossing New Horizons: How to Get the Mr Resetti Model