Just like in all other games in the Pokemon series, your goal in Pokemon Sword & Shield is to ultimately beat the Elite Four, the Champion, and become a Pokemon Champion yourself. Here’s how to beat Leon in Pokemon Sword & Shield.
How to Beat Leon in Pokemon Sword & Shield
He’s been hanging around since the very beginning, and now you’ll finally get to beat his Pokemon up. Leon is the Champion of the Galar region, and one of the final bosses you’ll have to face before fighting the game.
First off, a couple of his Pokemon picks will change depending on who you picked as your starter.
If you picked Grookey, you’ll get the following:
- Cinderace (level 64): Weak to Water, Ground, and Rock
- Seismitoad (level 64): Weak to Grass
If you picked Scorbunny, you’ll get the following:
- Inteleon (level 64): Weak to Electric and Grass
- Mr Rime (level 64): Weak to Rock, Bug, Ghost, Steel, Fire, and Dark
If you picked Sobble, you’ll get the following:
- Rillaboom (level 64): Weak to Fire, Ice, Poison, Flying, and Bug
- Rhyperior (level 64): Weak to Water, Grass, Ice, Fighting, Ground, and Steel
Aside from that, the rest of his lineup remains the same:
- Aegislash (level 62): Weak to Ground, Ghost, Fire, and Dark
- Haxorus (level 63): Weak to Ice, Dragon, and Fairy
- Dragapult (level 62): Weak to Ice, Dragon, Fairy, Ghost, and Dark
- Charizard (level 65): Weak to Rock, Electric, and Water
By far the biggest hurdle to beating Leon is his powerful Charizard. Once Leon transforms Charizard into its Gigantamax form, you’ll want to counter that by Dynamaxing your own Pokemon as well, and make sure that you have a good Rock, Electric, or Water Pokemon on hand for that fight.
Charizard will take the most damage from Rock and Water Pokemon, so if you have those, the fight should go by pretty easily.
Other than that, the most important thing is to make sure that your Pokemon are sufficiently leveled. You should be in the high 60s and early 70s range by the time you reach the Champion; any lower than that and you could be in a bit of trouble.
That’s all you need to know about how to beat Leon in Pokemon Sword & Shield. Be sure to check our Pokemon Sword & Shield guide wiki for more tips and information.
Here are a few other guides to help get you started: