After flirting –with great success– with Warhammer, the Total War series is firmly back in a historical setting following Thrones of Brittania and now Three Kingdoms. This time the action takes place in China during the Three Kingdoms period, with players taking control of any number of different warlords to rise up and conquer the whole middle kingdom. Here’s a list of all warlord characters in Total War Three Kingdoms we know so far.
All Warlord Characters in Total War Three Kingdoms
Although the game features 36 factions, only 15 are playable at launch. We also don’t have a complete list yet of all of them, so we’re listing below what we know so far and will be updating as soon as we have more information.
Each of the different factions in Total War is led by a warlord character, these are as below with faction names where known. We’ve also linked to the character trailer for each warlord for which one has been made. This should provide some more context beyond just the name.
Playable Warlords in Total War
- Cao Cao (Commander Class) – leading Kingdom of Wei
- Sun Jian (Sentinal Class) – leading Kingdom of Wu
- Liu Bei (Commander Class) – leading Kingdom of Shu-Han
- Ma Teng (Vanguard Class) – leading Xiliang faction
- Liu Biao (Commander Class)
- Zhang Yan (Champion Class)
- Yuan Shao (Commander Class) – leading Kingdom of Song
- Zheng Jiang (Champion Class)
- Kong Rong (Strategist Class)
- Yuan Shu (Champion Class)- leading Kingdom of Zhong
- Gongsun Zan (Vanguard Class) – leading Kingdom of Yan
- Dong Zhuo (Vanguard Class) – (Unlocked after defeating his army in battle or reach the rank of Emperor)
- Gong Du (Veteran Class) – (Yellow Turban Rebellion Warlord Pack)
- He Yi (Healer Class) – (Yellow Turban Rebellion Warlord Pack)
- Huang Shao (Scholar Class) – (Yellow Turban Rebellion Warlord Pack)
That’s all the information we have so far on all warlords in Total War Three Kingdoms. We’ll be sure to update this list as soon as possible once our guide team has played the game further. Be sure to check back with Twinfinite for more coverage over the next few days.
If you’re interested in other content on the game, we’ve detailed our thoughts on how Three Kingdoms could unite Total War’s fantasy/historical-centric community split.