Here’s What You Need to Know About Respec and SPECIAL in Fallout 76
Fallout 76, like all of the other games in the series that come before it, is, at its core, an RPG. Sure, it has a lot of other things going on, including some things that have never been done in the series before like multiplayer, but at the end of the day, it is still a Bethesda RPG.
As anyone familiar with this company’s RPGs knows, there is a lot of meat on the bones of the stats and specs system.
Dubbed SPECIAL in Fallout 76 (as it’s titled in past Fallout games), which coincides with the Perk Card system of the game, RPG fans are sure to love the numbers game within Fallout 76. You might be wondering how to respec your SPECIAL stats, though. We’ve got you covered.
What SPECIAL is
This actually stands for Strength, Perception, Endurance, Charisma, Intelligence, Agility and Luck. You can reach the SPECIAL menu by pressing Circle on PS4 or B on Xbox One to open up your Pip-Boy. Then, press Triangle or Y.
This will bring you to the Perks screen. Upon leveling up, you’ll be given the chance to cycle through each SPECIAL attribute and the ability to level one of these attributes up.
When you level up one of the SPECIAL attributes, you will receive a special boost to that stat’s passive effect and the ability to assign an additional perk card to that attribute. Before doing that, though, you’re going to want to know what each attribute in SPECIAL does.
- Strength is a measure of your raw physical power. It affects how much you can carry, and the damage of all melee attacks
- Perception affects your awareness of nearby enemies, your ability to detect stealthy movement and your weapon accuracy in VATS.
- Endurance is a measure of your overall physical fitness. It affects your total Health, the AP drain from sprinting and your resistance to disease.
- Charisma is your ability to lead and help others. It allows you to share higher point Perks and also affects your rewards from Group Quest and prices when you barter.
- Intelligence is a measure of your overall mental acuity, and affects your ability to hack terminals, the condition and durability of items that you craft, and the return you get from scrapping
- Agility is a measure of your overall finesse and reflexes. It affects the number of AP in VATS and your ability to sneak.
- Luck is a measure of your general good fortune, and affects the recharge rate of Critical Hits as well as the condition and durability of items that you loot.
Can You Respec Perk Points?
You cannot respec the points you put into each of the SPECIAL attributes. You can, however, unequip perk cards and equip new ones to adjust to your playstyle. As well as, of course, upgrade each of them for better abilities.
Can You Respec Perk Cards?
You cannot respec perk cards, but you are free to equip and unequip perk cards however you wish.
For more information about Fallout 76, be sure to check out our Fallout 76 Guide Wiki. There, you’ll find tips, tricks, walkthroughs and more to help you survive on the country roads of West Virginia.