How to Use Plans & Recipes in Fallout 76
One of the many things that Bethesda’s Fallout 76 does a fairly poor job of explaining how to do, is how you can access all of the different items, consumables, and buildings that you’ve picked up plans and recipes for on your adventures across the wasteland. Here’s how to use plans and recipes in Fallout 76.
Just because you’ve picked up a plan for that generator, or a recipe for a tasty Radscorpion Steak, doesn’t mean that you’re now immediately able to use it. Instead, you’ve actually got to activate it by heading into your Pip-Boy. We’ve broken down the steps to ‘learn’ plans and recipes in Fallout 76 below.
How to Learn Plans & Recipes to Use Them in Fallout 76
- Press B on Xbox One or X on PS4 to open your Pip-Boy in Fallout 76.
- Navigate over to the Items tab with the LT and RT (L2 and R2) buttons.
- Use the d-pad or left analog stick to tab over to the Notes list.
- Scroll down until you find the Plans or Recipes that you want to use.
- Press A on Xbox One or X on PS4 in order to learn the plan or recipe.
- You can now craft these items at your CAMP or their corresponding workbench, as long as you have any required perk cards (Gunsmith etc.)
By simply keeping your plans and recipes in your inventory in Fallout 76, you’re not able to actually learn them, and they’re taking up some precious carry weight, too. This is particularly true if you’ve not learned any of your plans or recipes in the game up until this point, as it all quickly racks up.
It’s worth noting that some armor and weapon plans that you pick up when you’re exploring the wasteland will require you to have perks such as Gunsmith or Armorer leveled up to specific ranks. For example, if you’ve got some badass shotgun plan, you’ll likely need the Gunsmith perk to be leveled up a fair few times for you to be able to craft high-level weaponry in the game.
As long as all of that is in check, you shouldn’t have a problem with crafting all of those items you have plans and recipes for in Fallout 76. For more tips, tricks, and guides for your adventures across Appalachia, be sure to check out our Fallout 76 guide wiki.