How to Get All Hidden Characters in Crossy Road
For such a simple game, Crossy Road has a massive range of secret characters for you to unlock, each with their own unique criteria. Some are a lot more obvious than others, so having a list of them all laid out for you can be a handy tool while you’re out there dodging cars until the inevitable moment you die (in-game, of course — Let’s not get too dark here).
Obviously, this list excludes any characters that are obtained via the Prize Machine, or by being purchased in-store in Crossy Road, as they are effectively the antithesis of the term ‘hidden’.
- Hipster Whale – No better place to start than the company mascot. Hipster Whale will appear swimming amongst the logs during gameplay. All it takes is to hop on his back, and you’ll unlock him as a playable character.
- The Totem – While playing as any of the characters from Monument Valley, spot the Totem drifting down the river. Like the Hipster Whale, board it to unlock it.
- Nessie – Sensing a theme here? Use any of the UK or Ireland characters, and be on the lookout for Nessie in a body of water. Hop aboard, and Nessie will be yours.
- Crab – To gain Crab, you must be like Crab. Swipe frantically left and right during periods of downtime (roughly 50 times), and achieve a score of at least 40.
- Michael Boom – This character isn’t hard to acquire, but it will cost you your life. Just keep your eyes peeled for a green truck carrying a rocket. Collide with it, and you’ll appropriately go up in flames. When the dust settles, you’ll have a new addition to the roster.
- Andy Sum – If Hipster Whale wasn’t meta enough for you, maybe you’ll get a kick out of playing as the team behind Crossy Road? Achieve a score that either surpasses or comes near your current high while using the Mallard to unlock Andy Sum. To help ease the grind, target this unlockable early.
- Ben Weatherall – Rinse and repeat Andy’s technique, while using the Dark Lord this time.
- Matt Hall – And once again, except this time the Lucky Cat is your ticket to a new character.
- Pro Gamer – Possessing perhaps the most obscure unlocking method in modern gaming, you will have to use any of the characters added in the Korean update. You will have to achieve a score of around 50 or greater, while never idling for a long period of time. The best way to do this is to mash left and right during downtime if possible, and bolting down straight paths whenever possible. Appropriately, playing as the Pro Gamer will reveal your APM (actions-per-minute) onscreen.
- Phone Box – the international parade continues with this dapper red unit. Using any of the British characters, progress past 100 points. If you’ve succeeded, you’ll pass by the phone box. At this point, you can keep going for as long as you like. Once you’re finished, the phone box will be yours.
- Coconut Water – While using the Tourist (either by purchasing or winning him), collect at least 5 coconut cocktails.
- Seal – While manning the Polar Bear, complete all five of the arctic cleaning missions.
- Iceberg – Once you have unlocked all of the characters from the Arctic update, lead each of them into the water. That’s right. Upon drowning the last one, you’ll be rewarded with the Iceberg, you heinous fiend.
- Bones – While playing as the Palaeontologist, pick up each of the dinosaur bone pieces dotting the map. Complete a full set, and you’ll be awarded with this skeletal ally upon your death.
- Purple Bloop – While playing as the Grablin, fight off the characters at the top of the screen in the RPG minigame. Defeat one that is level 35 or higher, and you will nab yourself a bloop of the purple variety.
- Yeti – While playing as any of the Christmas ’15 characters, find the Yeti on the field, flinging snowballs. Put yourself in the line of fire, and you will lose your life, but gain this abominable friend.
- Chinese Monster – While playing as the New Year’s Doll, find the Chinese Monster on the map. Catch it, and you will unlock it henceforth. Super lucky!
- Cai Shen – Select one of the Chinese characters and collect 20 red envelopes across multiple rounds.
- Drop Bear – Have a go as one of the Aussie characters, and spot this cobber lurking in a tree. He’ll get the jump on you when you get close, killing you in exchange for his services.
- Leprechaun – Faith and Begorrah! Play as any of the UK or Ireland characters, and scoop up every clover you see. Rarely, one will be a lucky four-leaf one, which will net you the Leprechaun.
- Rugby Player – To unlock the Rugby Player, you’ll need to first use the Squirrel. Make sense? Not really, but you’ll have to collect four nuts in trees on a run, after which a rugby ball will appear stuck in a tree (it looks like a white nut). Grab that, and you’ll be able to join the scrum.
- Gifty – While playing as the Festive Chicken, keep progressing until you reach a snowy plain. Collide with the Christmas Tree, and a mess of presents will spill out. Afterwards, you will receive Gifty.
- Inky – The first of the four ghosts requires you to simply play as Pac-Man, and amass a cumulative score of 2,500. Fear not, for this can be achieved over multiple runs.
- Blinky – To obtain this crimson ghoul, select the Pac-Chicken and be on the hunt for Pac-Man whizzing across the road in an empty lane. Allow him to gobble you up, and Blinky will be unlocked, potentially representing the afterlife(?!!)
- Pinky – Again selecting the Pac-Chicken, obtain the famous cherries hidden on the map.
- Clyde – A little more tricky than his brethren; Clyde requires you to play as Pac-Man, and eat 7 or more ghosts on the one power pellet. It’s much easier said than done.
- The Princess of All Cosmos – A lengthier title in Crossy Road, there may not be. While playing as the Prince of All Cosmos, amass around 12 items in your Katamari ball to unlock her.
- The King of All Cosmos – Repeat the same process as you did for the Princess to gain the crabby King, as well. He should take a similar amount of items collected as previous.
- The Queen of All Cosmos – While playing as the King of All Cosmos, blast enough objects with the rainbows spewing from your mouth to unlock the Queen. Hopefully she can talk some sense into him.
- Ace – While playing as Rocky, gobble up at least 50 burgers across multiple runs, and achieve a high score. Doing so will net the former Jughead.
For more Crossy Road tips, tricks and hints, keep on hopping on over here to Twinfinite!