WHAT THE PIECES OF EDEN ARE IN ASSASSIN’S CREED ORIGINS
Assassin’s Creed Origins certainly brings major changes to the structure of the gameplay and narrative in comparison to previous games in the series. Designed much more like an action role-playing game, there are no memory sequences this time around. That all being said, Origins by no means breaks away from the canonical lore set out in previous Assassin’s Creed games and relics tied to the wider lore of the universe make a return. Of central importance to the story of the Assassin’s Creed series as a whole are the Pieces of Eden.
The Pieces of Eden are technologically advanced devices crafted by the Isu, an advanced race of ancient beings that predate human civilization (long before even the ancient Egyptian culture). The Pieces of Eden were originally crafted in order to react with neurotransmitters implanted in humans’ brains and bring them under control. Since the disappearance of the Isu, these items have mystified humanity and been revered for their magical properties. Although they were originally designed to enslave, there are Pieces of Eden that have different properties, many of which make them tantalizing trophies for influential leaders throughout human history who were aided by the use of one of these relics, such as Alexander the Great and Genghis Khan.
Given the tremendous power over society that the Pieces of Eden grant to whoever yields them, their significance was quickly recognized by the Templar Order. Hoping to use them in order to realize their vision of a new world order, the Templar Order have dedicated themselves to hoarding these relics and exploiting their power. The Creed of Assassin’s, meanwhile, has sought to obtain and safeguard them from ending up as tools of destruction to that end. This battle between the two orders forms the basis of their conflict.
The Pieces of Eden form different categories, which are as follows:
- Apples of Eden – Designed to be able to project illusions and turn thought into reality.
- Shrouds of Eden – Shaped like cloths, capable of restoration and healing.
- Staves of Eden – Designed to control men’s minds and bodies, the Papal Staff held a cradle in its headpiece where an Apple of Eden could be placed to enhance its mind control effects.
- Swords of Eden – Grants the bearer great power and leadership, as well being capable of emitting energy blasts.
- Precursor Boxes – Used in combination with pieces of Eden to create various effects. Modern electricity can also power them in places of the relic.
There have also been special Pieces of Eden in previous Assassin’s Creed games (and fiction) such as the Trident, Koh-i-Noor, and Ankh.
In Assassin’s Creed Origins you will only encounter two Pieces of Eden: the apple, and staff, and neither of them are used for anything other than to store in safe keeping.
That is everything you need to know about the Pieces of Eden in Assassin’s Creed and their role in Origins. For more useful tips and guides on the game, check out our wiki page.