The week-long speedrunning marathon Awesome Games Done Quick 2021 raised over $2.7 million for the Prevent Cancer Foundation on Sunday morning.
The event began last Sunday with a Mirror’s Edge speedrun and concluded earlier today with an “All Dungeons” run of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time ending on a total of $2,758,847 raised for the organization. Donations are still being taken after the event ended, and the total is $2,760,340 at the time of this writing.
The total was less than last year’s event which raised over $3.1 million, but Awesome Games Done Quick 2021 was held as an online only event due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
There were 157 speedruns during the event including games such as Hades, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, Left 4 Dead 2, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, and more. It may also be the only time that Super Mario Bros. 35 is ran at a GDQ event as the Nintendo Switch online battle royale game will be playable until March 31.
The company noted that the annual Summer Games Done Quick will be happening this year, but did not announce a date or any other details. The event is usually held in June or July, though was postponed to August last year on account of the pandemic.
- Awesome Games Done Quick 2021 Online Only Event Begins
- Awesome Games Done Quick 2021 Will Be Online Only in January
- Games Done Quick Raises Over $400,000 for COVID-19 Relief
- Games Done Quick Holds Speedrunning Event Supporting COVID-19 Relief
- Awesome Games Done Quick 2020 Raises $3.1 Million for Charity