The Resident Evil series has gained quite a bit of momentum in the past five years, and Capcom is definitely capitalizing on that by releasing a remake of yet another beloved classic title: Resident Evil 3. While the campaign may be on the short side, it is designed to be a very replayable game, especially with tougher difficulty settings that you can unlock. Here’s how to unlock Nightmare difficulty and what’s new in Resident Evil 3.
Unlocking Nightmare Difficulty and What It Does in Resident Evil 3
Nightmare difficulty is a fourth, secret difficulty setting in Resident Evil 3. You’ll only be able to unlock it by completing the game on Hardcore mode. Once you’ve done so, start a new game, and it’ll become an option you can choose on the difficulty selection screen.
However, do be warned that this setting brings about quite a few changes. Enemies will be even more aggressive, and ammo will be even more scarce. And in addition to that, enemy and item placements are also different from the regular playthrough.
This means that you’ll really need to be familiar with the map layouts and have a good sense of the game flow to do well in this setting, especially since things are going to be shuffled up. It looks like you still won’t need ink ribbons to save your game at the typewriters, but it’ll still be a massive challenge nonetheless.
Completing the game on this difficulty will unlock a fifth hidden difficulty, called Hell. We’ve yet to unlock this one ourselves, but we imagine it’ll be even more extreme than Nightmare with its random item placements.
To recap, here’s how to unlock Nightmare difficulty in Resident Evil 3:
- Beat the game on Hardcore mode.
- When starting a new game, you’ll be able to choose Nightmare from the difficulty selection screen.
That’s all you need to know about how to unlock Nightmare difficulty in Resident Evil 3. Be sure to search for Twinfinite or check our guide wiki for more tips and information on the game.
- Capcom Announces Record Q2 Profit Among “Solid” Resident Evil 3 & Catalog Games Sales
- Resident Evil 3 Remake Filled With Mods Is a Hilarious & Chaotic Mess
- Resident Evil 3 Remake Mod Turns Jill, Carlos, & Nemesis Into Fall Guys
- Massive Xbox Ultimate Game Sale Now Live; Discounts on Resident Evil 3, Maneater, & More
- Resident Evil 3 Shipped 2.7 Million Units; Monster Hunter World at 16 Million & Iceborne at 5.8 Million